AFE stage II or Airaid

Dalpilot

Joe Nobody!
Is the AFE stage II a waste of $$ for the 06 cummins like it is for the 6.0?
I know they cost a lot more, but are they any better. The Ford AFE stage II's suck.

Dalpilot,

Hey if for no other reason they have the Pro Guard 7 to protect the engine from dirt!

Mark @ DPPI

Dalpilot said:
Is the AFE stage II a waste of $$ for the 06 cummins like it is for the 6.0?
I know they cost a lot more, but are they any better. The Ford AFE stage II's suck.

My experience with the AFE has been different than yours................

stage one pro guard 7

Save your money and go stage one. The real power comes from other mods anyway. There is a good article in Diesel Power Mag. on intake systems.No real big difference in flow among all of the different brands.
Fact is: The pro guard 7 stops more dirt. Dirt bad.
I'm not a big fan of the molded intake tubes as an add on. Unless looks mean something? I understand that counts for something.

Last edited:
I would recomend an AFE intake over the AirAid. I have heard several stories of the AirAid colapsing. We have never had a problem with the AFEs we've sold.

I have to agree, go with the stage one AFE. The pro guard 7 filters the most dirt, which is what you need anyway. My dad has an airaid on his 6.0 and is not happy with it.

Go stage 1 or some other brand. we have had nothing but trouble with the stage 2's and it is not much of a gain if any.

haz-mat19 said:
I have to agree, go with the stage one AFE. The pro guard 7 filters the most dirt, which is what you need anyway. My dad has an airaid on his 6.0 and is not happy with it.

Why is he unhappy?

chevyguy said:
I would recomend an AFE intake over the AirAid. I have heard several stories of the AirAid colapsing. We have never had a problem with the AFEs we've sold.

Gotta be carefull with comments like that..

Got pics? seen it?

Me either.

I will agree with the AFE comment even thought I dont have one. I like thier filters a bit better than Airaid, not sure why but I do. I think its because AFE uses that new cool filter media and Airaid uses the same stuff K&N does (I think).

Airaid doesnt seem to me to be designed to really compete with AFE? However I havnet seen anything other than thier quick fit systems using the bottom of the factory air box and replacing the top with a new open design v/s AFE has a complete replacement air box and usuallt the intake tube as well.

I looked at several systems when I bought mine and decided on the Airaid.
I sell both as well but I just couldnt see the extra $$$ for the AFE system

dan

Last edited:
i have a stage II on my 97 with a outerwear, have no problem at all. other than the dam thing sucks so hard that it pulls the insulation out of the hood pad, on a weeks worth of driving i can collect a good sized fur ball from the filter

scot

DPDIESEL,

What kind of issues have you had we have had nothing but great feedback on the Stage II's????

Mark @ DPPI

zukgod1,

The AFE uses a Patended 5 layer media. Each layer has a slightly smaller air hole and they cross stack the media so the air has to turn as it goes thru the layers, does an excellent job of stopping dirt!!! As far as I know all others use 4 or 5 layers of the same media and create a straight thru tunnel in the layers.

Mark @ DPPI

Mark Craig said:
DPDIESEL,

What kind of issues have you had we have had nothing but great feedback on the Stage II's????

Mark @ DPPI

Mark,

I agree that they do work good but with the new re-flash of Fords it doesn't. We had 3 different customers that had the aFe on there truck and it ran great, then they get the latest dealer re-flash and there truck won't run with the air intake on. We called aFe about the problem and got told it was because of the tube and that they had replacment ones to send out but we never got them. Then we had 2 06's and both of them wouldn't work. We just decided to use the stage 1 or another brand to go around these issues.

I have a Stage 1 in my VW TDI and a Stage 2 in my CTD. The CTD has the normal element with a prefilter on it. Would recomment prefilters on any of them.

All oiled media filters need extra care and attention to be any good.

DPDIESEL,

Ok good info. FYI don't sell the 54/75-10392 to any Ford 6.0 newer than a November 2005 build date and you should be OK! The new Stage II+ 54/75-11022 works on them all and actually out performs the enclosed 54/75-10392 Stage II. Maybe that'll help. If you still need the tubes call and they will get them to you but there is a large back order.

Mark @ DPPI

I i just installed a stage II afe with the 7 ply. You can def. hear the air enter. not sure on the power gains but looks nicer than that stock box

I just put my stage II on a few weeks ago and love it!!!:rockwoot: Also it lets the sound a billion times cooler.

I just switched out the BHAF in my truck for an AFE PG 7 with prefilter, so far I really like it, throttle response is much improved as is turbo spoolup.