Air Dog II pump not running

ctbkmason@paris

Installed a Air Dog II on my 98.5. Now when turning on the key it does not cycle the pump 9 out of 10 times the relay just clicks on and off real quick. If I start the truck it will run the Air Dog for a while but always ends up shutting down. I have tried 5 differnt relays with the same results, checked and rechecked wireing. Getting code P0230 any ideas???? getting old jumping around the relay to drive the truck.

You may try just running the power wire to a 12v switched ignition fuse.

I could do that but I just spent $2000 on a AD and new vp44, I would like things to work like they should. I had a friend burn a almost new truck to the ground by wiring around the ecm. He didn't want to take the time to wire it up with a relay, was rear ended breaking the fuel line on the filter that sprayed up on the hood then dripped down on the turbo catching fire. He said it got real hot real quick with all the fuel under the hood.

I'm not sure whats going on it is something with the ECM but not sure what. Weird thing is the lift pump was running like it should just not pumping fuel. Put the air dog on and a new vp44 and now it just clicks the relay in and out real quick, not even on long enough to start the air dog then throws the P0230 code. Does the ECM on the vp44 have any control over the lift pump or is this the ecm on the block?

take the connector from the old lift pump harness take 2 t pins and 2 test leads and connect them to the battery and see what ur relay does make sure u touch postive to + and -to -

Any time you have a relay acting up, the same procedure applies.

7746-automotive-relay-1.jpg

First thing's first....

- Have you verified 12v at the relay's switched pin when you are expecting the pump to be running? Should be either 85 or 86.

If so, skip down.

If not, figure out why the hell not. If the PCM is commanding this action, why isn't it happening? Otherwise, make this happen whenever you're expecting this relay to actually close.

- Have you verified 12v between that pin and the other switch leg for the coil? Again, either 85 or 86 obviously the other from whichever you chose for your positive connection. Still get 12v when the pump's supposed to be on?

If so skip down.

If not, you must not have an adequate ground on the negative switch leg. Trace this ground and fix it. If you are using the ground as your switched input, then fix that so that it actually goes to ground.

- Have you verified 12v at the switched leg you chose for your voltage source? Either 30 or 87?

If so, skip down.

If not, then figure out why the hell not. Trace your wire to the battery and double check continuity and connection. Get reliable power here. (Preferably FUSED power, with a fuse rating LESSER than that of the relay...)

- Have you verified 12v on the other switched leg of the relay? Again, either 30 or 87, obviously opposite whichever you chose for the voltage source pin. Do you have 12v here when you are expecting the pump to be running?

If so, skip down.

If not, you've likely got a bad relay. To verify, check the voltage across the coil (pins 85 and 86) and if it's still found sufficient 10+ volts usually, toss the relay. As an aside, verifying that excessive current didn't destroy the original would be wise if this is a re-occuring problem. Brush/commutator wear would cause this, as well as a grounded or partially grounded pump power wire.

- Have you verified 12v at the pump itself? Continuity between the relay and pump?

If so, skip down.

If not, fix it. You have discontinuity between the relay pin and the pump. Broken wire or loose connection most likely.

- Do you see system voltage between the pump positive and negative wires?

If so, the pump is Fubar. If it's a brushed motor pump, tap the case with something to "jar" the brushes/com into a better spot. If it takes off or drags a bit, case closed.

Hope that helps. If it seems immature disregard it. Just have to start somewhere.