Air Shut Off questions

I dont have an air shutoff on my truck, but would like to get one soon. Ive looked at several setups, and all the ones I see are pre turbo. Wouldnt it make more sense and be more effective if you made an air shut off and mounted it between the intake manifold and the intercooler? Just seems like it would have a lot better chance of shutting it down in case you had to use it. I guess the pre turbo ones work ok, but the method I list above just seems like a better idea to me. Plus an added benefit would be if the turbo blew a seal and started pushing oil into the engine, then it would be able to stop that as well. Anyone have one like what I described?

I dont have an air shutoff on my truck, but would like to get one soon. Ive looked at several setups, and all the ones I see are pre turbo. Wouldnt it make more sense and be more effective if you made an air shut off and mounted it between the intake manifold and the intercooler? Just seems like it would have a lot better chance of shutting it down in case you had to use it. I guess the pre turbo ones work ok, but the method I list above just seems like a better idea to me. Plus an added benefit would be if the turbo blew a seal and started pushing oil into the engine, then it would be able to stop that as well. Anyone have one like what I described?

I would not want to halt that boost number and make my compressor wheel suffer, the original BBD had one post turbo and so does Brett at TNT IIRC.
Brandon

I have a Post turbo air shut off. I feel it is a safer setup. Some say it could harm my turbo. Yes it could but if the turbo blows a pre turbo shut off will not save my $15,000 engine. I would rather kill a $2000 turbo then my engine.

I use a Chalwyn MVX 303. With cables it cost me just over $400 and it was easy to install.

ED could make it so theirs mounts in the piping between the intercooler and engine I think. I like their design and price is right IMO.

I have a Post turbo air shut off. I feel it is a safer setup. Some say it could harm my turbo. Yes it could but if the turbo blows a pre turbo shut off will not save my $15,000 engine. I would rather kill a $2000 turbo then my engine.

I use a Chalwyn MVX 303. With cables it cost me just over $400 and it was easy to install.

I agree. I think if the times comes when you actually have to use the air shutoff, its going to be hard on the turbo no matter if its post turbo or pre turbo.

ED could make it so theirs mounts in the piping between the intercooler and engine I think. I like their design and price is right IMO.

When I asked them last year they said no. Pre turbo only. That is why I ended up with a Chalwyn shutoff.

Post turbo you have to seal 50+ psi. That can present a new challenge. If you do it put in a blow off valve!

Johnboy, I remember our talk and it isnt that we cant build it. We prefer not to. We have gone back and forth on it and our thought is still pre-turbo. Cable, sled and hitch failure's or some other mishap which is far more likely than an actual runaway, especially on an electronically controlled engine. When factoring the actual causes we decided it wasn't worth the turbo abuse of a full boost compressor stack up. I personally have only ever seen one runaway, ever. Indy in the pits near the tower in 2005 IIRC, that's after watching truck and tractor diesel events for many years. Now in that same time frame I have seen numerous hitch, release cable, and sled mishap's cause shut off detonation. If each of those produced some turbo damage there would be some pretty unhappy competitors out there.

In the event of a full on runaway in your Duramax, I imagine you would prefer the turbo over the engine. Now if you happen to fall prey to one of the more common mishaps, which odds are will happen far before a runaway, you may come to appreciate our standpoint. A couple of those a season would get old in a hurry. You cant really say, nahh not me I'm Johnboy, it can happen to anyone at any event, even on back to back weekends. Hell you could have half a dozen mishaps in one season. Those odds are still more likely than an actual Duramax runaway.

We could build it, in fact I have it drawn up in 3" but we prefer the pre turbo shut off's.

Post turbo you have to seal 50+ psi. That can present a new challenge. If you do it put in a blow off valve!
I have peged a 60 psi gage and no leaking with the Chalwyn valve. Rigging a the cable to blow a pop of right before the Chalwyn vavle trips is not hard at all.

Johnboy, I remember our talk and it isnt that we cant build it. We prefer not to. That is nice Chris. I asked you said no. Your product is very nice but not for me.We have gone back and forth on it and our thought is still pre-turbo. Cable, sled and hitch failure's or some other mishap which is far more likely than an actual runaway, especially on an electronically controlled engine. When factoring the actual causes we decided it wasn't worth the turbo abuse of a full boost compressor stack up. I personally have only ever seen one runaway, ever. Indy in the pits near the tower in 2005 IIRC, that's after watching truck and tractor diesel events for many years. Now in that same time frame I have seen numerous hitch, release cable, and sled mishap's cause shut off detonation. If each of those produced some turbo damage there would be some pretty unhappy competitors out there.
Sledpuller, BigBadDodge used the Chalwyn with out issue long before your shut off came out. Many industrail engines around the world use them. When set up with a blow of it is the most effective setup up out there. I have personally witnessed a blown turbo runaway. That tractor had fancy Billet shut off. It did no good. A post turbo shut off would have saved that $20000+ engine from scattering

In the event of a full on runaway in your Duramax, I imagine you would prefer the turbo over the engine. Now if you happen to fall prey to one of the more common mishaps, which odds are will happen far before a runaway, you may come to appreciate our standpoint. A couple of those a season would get old in a hurry. You cant really say, nahh not me I'm Johnboy, it can happen to anyone at any event, even on back to back weekends. Hell you could have half a dozen mishaps in one season. Those odds are still more likely than an actual Duramax runaway.

We could build it, in fact I have it drawn up in 3" but we prefer the pre turbo shut off's.

If my engne runs away darn skippy I could care less if I shell the turbo to save the engine. Or what about if it is a matter of something far worse. Lets say that your driveing thru the pits and it all goes wrong. Your driving a truck spooled it both ends that will not turn for crap. You can not shut it off with the key or fuel shut off because it is running away. There tons of people walking around in the pits, families, children, you get the picture. Would you rather have a Chalwyn valve that will shut it down or would your rather a fancy shut that looks cool but just might not get the job done?

Chris
I was not lashing out at you or your products. I simply think your way of thinking about shutoffs is flawed. You make lots of very nice stuff that reccomend to others. I am not a vendor for Chalwyn. I just own one. It does a far better job of shuting the truck down than my fancy billet gillotine. That is fact. Flame me all you want my Chalwyn valve is here to stay.

John no issue with the Chalwyn valve, I am just curious how did the guillotine shut off fail on the tractor?

Twin turbo setup John? I don't see on a single how you couldn't kill it with the backing plate blown off. You can't build any boost, so just lock the convertor, or dump the clutch. Now maybe if they had a centrifugal clutch that wouldn't engage so they could kill the engine and it just sat and pumped the engine oil out.

Trash the wheel? Why would a preturbo not shut it down in your scenario?
Brandon
The Comp housing was broken. Most of it was not even attactached to the turbo anymore. The air was coming in from the void in the broken housing that the comp wheel made. How can the shutoff stop that?
Twin turbo setup John? I don't see on a single how you couldn't kill it with the backing plate blown off. You can't build any boost, so just lock the convertor, or dump the clutch. Now maybe if they had a centrifugal clutch that wouldn't engage so they could kill the engine and it just sat and pumped the engine oil out.

Tractor was in neutral when it started to all go bad. No one was even on the seat. The clutch was centrifugal. It had a pedal but you can not push in the pedal with the RPMs up like that. The Centrifugal force was to much to over come.

I will say this I beleive the Chalwyn Valve to be the best on the market. Team it with a Halon nozzle in the manifold like I have done you will get it shut off. If someone thinks there setup is better than the Chalwyn send it to me. I will test it at idle and video it than post on my youtube channel. Then I will pull out the pipeplug in the waste reference hole in my comp housing and try it again. If it shuts my truck faster I will pay full price for it and run your sticker on my windsheild. If it does not out preform the Chalwyn valve you will pay the shipping both ways and have to live with the vid in my youtube channel.

Any takers?

Johnboy, I remember our talk and it isnt that we cant build it. We prefer not to. We have gone back and forth on it and our thought is still pre-turbo. Cable, sled and hitch failure's or some other mishap which is far more likely than an actual runaway, especially on an electronically controlled engine. When factoring the actual causes we decided it wasn't worth the turbo abuse of a full boost compressor stack up. I personally have only ever seen one runaway, ever. Indy in the pits near the tower in 2005 IIRC, that's after watching truck and tractor diesel events for many years. Now in that same time frame I have seen numerous hitch, release cable, and sled mishap's cause shut off detonation. If each of those produced some turbo damage there would be some pretty unhappy competitors out there.

WHAT DO U GET ON UR BUTTERFLY CUT OFFS 5" AND PERFERBABLY STEEL APPLICATION AND DO U SELL THE CABLES TO