Alignment questions

Lair87

I have an 03 standard cab long bed, and it pulls to the right all the time, I've put new ball joints in and the brakes and calipers are new. I've also tried swapping the tires and no luck. I have had it aligned at two different shops and they tell me it is aligned within spec, but to fix the pull I need to put an offset ball joint in the bottom on the left side. The left side camber is -.2 and caster at 5.3. The right side camber is at .1 and caster is at 5.1. So is it the camber or caster causing the problem? Or a combination of both? Anyone else had a problem like this? Is there another solution?

Thanks

Yeah I did spin both wheels, I forgot to mention both front wheel bearings are new and the u-joints are new too. They both spin free and they turn nice and easy so it's not like it has a tight ball joint. I just don't want to go to the work and money putting an offset ball joint in and not fix the problem. Could it be the steering dampener causing the problem or something simple like that?

Mines doing the exact same thing, but it only started a couple years ago. Whole frontend is new as well. Driving straight line on smooth surface I have to hold the wheel at about 11 o'clock. Drive on opposite side of road (passing someone of course) with crown of road falling the other way and steering is centered and truck drives straight. I just assumed it stems from a shot steering gear box.

Try cranking some more positive caster into the right side and/or take some out of the left side. The side with the most negative caster will tend to pull. Also, the side with the most positive caster will tend to pull. According to your specs, the measurments that cause a pull are both on the right side. Adjusting caster is easier than changing a ball joint. Worth a shot.

^I believe you need to clarify caster/camber in your first sentence

Third sentence should read the side with the most positive camber will tend to pull.

I think I'm going to try adjusting the caster some and see if that makes it better. I'm not sold on the offset ball joint idea as in I think they will not last as long and I don't think the camber is off enough to worry about. It's just annoying driving it this way.

looking at the specs the camber is your culprit, caster isn't enough different to cause pulling. also an offset ball joint installed properly will fix the caster too

Well I put an offset balljoint in the left side so now I'm at 0.6 camber on the left and 0.1 on right. cross camber is 0.5. Had it aligned again and the shop set it up to pull to the left and it still goes to the right. So I'm at a loss, my next thought is the steering gear but I really want to make sure that is it before I replace that. I see a lot of people have this issue has anyone successfully fixed it?

Last edited:
Back