allen head bolts?

Blue01Cummins

i was going to buy a set of these does anyone use these? and was also wondering how i should put these in i am not taking the head off.. do i just do these one at a time or do i undo all the head bolts then put these in???

Would suggest using the search function first and reading before posting anymore threads about stuff that's been covered several times already on this site.

Interesting. I guess my concern it the torquing of said "allen bolts". My experience with the little socket head cap screws is you'll twist off the driver. May not be a factor with a bolt that size, but you'd have less tool trouble with and external thread or hex than an internal pattern like allen, torx, etc. $.02

i would replace head gasket, not just replacing the head bolts/studs.

i head searched but couldnt find anything i guess i am just searching the wrong thing i am not talking about head studs but allen bolts.. i was going to use them cause i wanted to do water meth and was scared to pop a head gasket or do you guys think i would be ok with just stock head bolts?

No theres a company that sells allen bolts to replace the head bolts or instead of studs.

Ya don't say. Cost more than a head bolt, but less than a stud I would guess? If the clamping force was the same as a head bolt, I would just use new head bolts.

i head searched but couldnt find anything i guess i am just searching the wrong thing i am not talking about head studs but allen bolts.. i was going to use them cause i wanted to do water meth and was scared to pop a head gasket or do you guys think i would be ok with just stock head bolts?

They have been covered in the head stud threads. Also in the same threads they tell you about replacing them one at a time if your trying to save the head gasket.

About the same price as new head bolts, he allens that are used are supposed to have about 30,000psi more tensile strength IIRC.

so are you saying i should just wait till i pop the head gasket to do anything?

no i am not, i am saying to replace the head gasket when you put in these allen bolts, but i would personally just go ahead and get studs. A head gasket is $60 give or take a few, been a year since i've bought one. why not replace it? the one you have has already had crush force on it once atleast, so... i'd replace it.

I can tell you from personal experience on my old 5.9, I was going to try to just add bolts or retorque to make a seemingly "on its last leg" gasket last. I decided to pull it and was glad I did. Don't skimp on it. Just do it once and be done. Or, just replace the head gasket and put new factory bolts in and save some cash. $.02

Call Mumau or PM him and he'll save you some $$$. If he don't reply quick, he is still on vacation.

About the same price as new head bolts, he allens that are used are supposed to have about 30,000psi more tensile strength IIRC.

You are a very helpful site sponsor Tno$ LOL. Thank you Sir.

I can tell you from personal experience on my old 5.9

Careful, you are starting to sound like one of those snooty 6.7 owners!

they are thicker and stronger than a stock head bolt but not as strong as studs

Stronger? Maybe. Thicker? I don't think so.

I believe the stock head bolts are around 11mm or so, the ARP studs and allen headbolts are 12mm.

the bolt is the same tensile strength as stocker, just not undercut.
so shaft is about 3/32 thicker... equating to more overall strength of bolt.
get an account with fastenal and go pick them up off the shelf.. about 60 bucks with washers for 26 of them.
and the 10mm allen driver did just fine pulling mine down to 135

I believe the stock head bolts are around 11mm or so, the ARP studs and allen headbolts are 12mm.

the bolt is the same tensile strength as stocker, just not undercut.
so shaft is about 3/32 thicker... equating to more overall strength of bolt.
get an account with fastenal and go pick them up off the shelf.. about 60 bucks with washers for 26 of them.
and the 10mm allen driver did just fine pulling mine down to 135

Wow. Apologies to the new guy. Thanks y'all.

I remember reading they were weaker than stock bolts. Torque to yield bolt had more clamping force.

While the tensile strength may be stronger, translating the torque into clamping force might be slightly different.