Allison Limp mode?

J7 DIESEL

What does it do when completly in limp mode. I seen a post on here but no-one explained this. Mine shifts like a stutter box, pulls like a train, slows down very shortly, shifts and takes off again. I have 85hp injectors and a 100hp dr performance module on it from time to time and wondering what limp mode actually is. I also am putting the shift enhancer from bully dog in it along with a converter soon. so.... whats up.

Forgive me for my ignorance but, you guys are all good informants.

Thanks Jason

Last edited:
What does it do when completly in limp mode. I seen a post on here but no-one explained this. Mine shifts like a stutter box, pulls like a train, slows down very shortly, shifts and takes off again. I have 85hp injectors and a 100hp dr performance module on it from time to time and wondering what limp mode actually is. I also am putting the shift enhancer from bully dog in it along with a converter soon. so.... whats up.

Forgive me for my ignorance but, you guys are all good informants.

Thanks Jason

Tranny downshifts to 3rd gear & stays there till you shut it off. I think what your talking about is its defueling before the shift. Limp mode is to trans preventive measure to prevent breaking. Take that Bullydog shift kit & throw it in the trash, it ain't gonna do a flucken thing, want a real shift kit buy a transgo.

yeah dont even bother with the bullydog and do a full build as you have probably done some damage already

I have the ppe hot 2 programmer and my truck has gone into limp mode one or two times. How bad does it hurt the tranny and other parts?

Yeah as stated above its not going into limp mode. It's defueling or you need a lift pump to help feed those injectors. I'd just go ahead and get the tranny built and not mess with th Bully dog kit.

Duramax18,
Once you limp it, it will limp easier and easier and pretty soon you'll have to turn your programmer way down to keep from limping. Bite the bullet and upgrade that tranny and get a lift pump and turn it up!

10/4 I appreciate it guys, I went with the transgo, and reprogramming like it alot, no problems thus far. Thanks again
Jason

You need a fuel pump for bigger injectors. Check out PPE's pump. Its great.

Back