Alright! how much do 35's on 20's soke up power?

strokedviking

alright, i've been contemplaiting puting on toyo 35- -20 on my truck, and possibly a 4.5 lift. i currently have a DR 2.5 leaveling kit with 285/70R17, and i did notice quite abit in loss of power wen just putting on the 285's. so my question is, is it a huge loss in power going to 35's? or should i just stay with 33's? i konw that useing the stock tire and wheel combo will give me the best power performance, but i am just curious about other options. cuase i freakin love the way a 4.5 lift with 35's on 20's look and would love to have that set up on my ride, but only if it doesnt drematicaly change the power. oh yeah, i crrenty have 4.10's in her right now...
thanks!

35's should not be a big deal even more so since you have 4.10's in her. Depending on what wheels you get/ some wheels weigh less than the stock ones and could help even it out some

thanks for the reply!
i kinda thought/hoped it wouldnt be that big a deal...but i was just thinking that if i get 20" rims that would be more weight on a further/larger circumferance. and that would slow me down a bunch...
anymore input out there....i know there are tones of people out there with this setup and with the same tunes that i have...would like your input!
thanks!

35s on 17 would have a greater negative effect than 35s on 20s. Tires are proportionally heavier than rims, so by shortening the sidewall you are lessening the rotational weight.

thanks betaracer that is exactly what i wanted to hear!!! now that i have heard that from you i will not let anyone tell me different:rockwoot:
thanks abunch you guys:Cheer: !

You also have to factor in rotating mass location. On the larger rims you have the weight shifted farther from the center of the hub. Thus causining it to act as more weight. I went from a 33" tire on 22's to a 35" tire and it was very noticable.

On kuhmo's specs for tires style I have.
285/70r17 weighs 45 pounds
325/60r20 weighs 71 pounds.

315/70r17 BF Goodrich AT weighs 64 pounds

I would also bet that the 20" rims weigh at least 10 pounds per rim more than the 17" so you will have at least 35 lbs more per tire or 140 lbs more over all. When you talk about performance they say that rolling mass of a tire counts at about 10 times heavier as compared to cargo in the bed or a trailer. So it will be like pulling a 1400 lb trailer all the time.

Last edited:
i just switched back from my 20's with 35's to my stock wheels and tires for winter..... i noticed a little power gain but not enough for me to want to keep them on all the time!