Am I crazy?

BlackSkyRacing

Living Under a Rock
Ok, so by now you guys probably know, I'm a bit of a tight wad... Am I crazy for considering running a perfect circle engine kit with wide bowl Non-IC pistons in my truck? I'm shooting for 800hp fuel only. I intend to work on the bottom end , adding some better fasteners, balancing the crank and a set of II's worked over stock rods (can't mess with them myself for $320/set). Anyway, back on track here, are these gonna make my engine a ticking timb bomb? I've heard they don't have the metal ring lands that stock pistons do?? If they're no good at all what about Mahle Non-IC pistons? The only difference I can see, other than 1/2 price of Marines, is the lack of moly coating on the skirt.

Go with the 155° mahle pistons.
steel ring lands are junk for performance engines anyway

Ok, so by now you guys probably know, I'm a bit of a tight wad... Am I crazy for considering running a perfect circle engine kit with wide bowl Non-IC pistons in my truck? I'm shooting for 800hp fuel only. I intend to work on the bottom end , adding some better fasteners, balancing the crank and a set of II's worked over stock rods (can't mess with them myself for $320/set). Anyway, back on track here, are these gonna make my engine a ticking timb bomb? I've heard they don't have the metal ring lands that stock pistons do?? If they're no good at all what about Mahle Non-IC pistons? The only difference I can see, other than 1/2 price of Marines, is the lack of moly coating on the skirt.

$320 for a complete set of rods? Good price. Are these the shot peened ones they list on their site, under mahcine shop?

Go with the 155° mahle pistons.
steel ring lands are junk for performance engines anyway

Thanks, that's all I was looking for. I'll check my suppliers to see who has a kit with Mahle pistons as an option :)

$320 for a complete set of rods? Good price. Are these the shot peened ones they list on their site, under mahcine shop?

Yeah, polished, shot peened, new bushings, big end resized, and new "high strength" rod bolts (anything 12.9 without that stupid neck down must be considered better). So, like I said, I can't mess with them myself for that kind of price.

Reduced shanks increase a fastener's elasticity & ability to maintain sufficient preload of an assembly when subjected to large cyclical tensile stress.

Reduced shanks increase a fastener's elasticity & ability to maintain sufficient preload of an assembly when subjected to large cyclical tensile stress.

Really, so basically, you're saying those bolts that neck down to about 8mm are stronger?? Technically speaking when considering the type of load the offset ends see on the big ends of our rods? Should I be looking into what II considers high strength rod bolts? Please god tell me I'm not stupid for thinking a good solid full 14mm bolt will be stronger in the mains than those tiny shank mo-fo's that are in there now :poke: