AN fittings / Hose size

camccardell

Been having trouble finding a hose for my turbo that will work, so I have been thinking aboutmaking my own. I was wondering if there would be a problem using -6 line and fittings or should I use -4.

I ask because The factory line is 3/8 ID and a uses 1/4 ID npt fitting at the block. The turbo has a metric m12 x 1.5 fitting but right before it enters the turbo it necks down to about 1/8 - 3/16 of an inch.

I would ideally use -6 line and fittings, but I was wondering if it would let too much oil into the turbo and possibly blow out an oil seal. The -4 fittings look like they would be a lot more restrictive than the factory line, but no more restricting than the fitting that goes into the trubo.
This might be just silly worrying on my part, but I would rather ask a dumb sounding question than risk blowing up a turbo.

Thanks!

I always just use -4 as their are readily available fittings. -6 would be supreme overkill, but the internal passages in the turbo are only going to allow so much oil.

-3 would be sufficient, but like I said, -4 is easy and available. What vehicle are you working with that has a 1/4" npt at the block?

86 4bt block has the 1/4 npt fitting at the oil cooler.

The factory line is 3/8 which is -6 which is also the majority of the fittings available. That was why I was asking. I need to get a m12 x 1.5 to an fitting + a 1/4 npt to an fitting, then the line and the ends. Probably gonna be a costly some *****. Probably bout $80 or more.

nah, Turbonetics has the M12 fittings for like $6. Earl's has the 1/4" to AN for like $4.

my local hose/hydraulic shop has the 1/4" to -4 for $1 a piece. They probably have the M12 to -4 also, but I still have a bunch here at the house that I got from Tnetics a while back

you can get a pre-made -4 line from a number of sources for ~$30...

when I do a 2nd gen turbo location on a 3rd gen, I usually budget about $40 for the oil feed side

Back