another chevy cummins conversion

turbojoe

Cummin get you some
Here it is another cummins going in a chevy:evil. this time its a burban. doing it for a buddy. had a 454 and its gonna get a 98 12V/47RH/o-ringed head/60 lbs. springs/injectors/twins/suncoast TDC/georend VB. just yanked the motor last night.

Attachments

• 454.bmp
    272.3 KB · Views: 607
  • driver side.bmp
    272.3 KB · Views: 598
  • driver side window.bmp
    272.3 KB · Views: 578
  • far driver side.bmp
    272.3 KB · Views: 570
  • pass. side.bmp
    272.3 KB · Views: 550
Hey do a nice little right up on that if you would for me. I have one to do the same thing to.

any updates? i have a 99 3/4 crew cab with a 454 that needs 12v power.

yes there is...I am proud to say that I am the owner of the suburban. This will be a daily driver, and the final goal will be 800hp.
This will be displaying the fine workmanship and fabrication of "Big Boys diesel" and of couse, some of my companys products.
The vehicle now sits 2" inches higher thanks to a body lift. This was done for the purpose of clearance issuses. I wanted to keep the burban as close to stock height as possible, due to the fact that my wife will be the main driver of this vehicle LOL I think this is the bare minimum amount of lift(body)you can get away with, with out the lift my hood would hit the A/C pump. We are using the GM A/C pump, and alternator. The burban is using "Auto worlds" newly designed A/C brackets, and the quad motor mounts. These mounts are real nice and keep the engine sturdy in the engine bay. The engine, trans, and transfercase are now mounted in the vehicle. And hopefully this weekend we might hear it run.:cheer: I think joes got to have some pics of the custom torsion bar support they made and all the other little details... will keep you posted.

Dave, do you mind me asking what you are doing for the transmission. Are you using the GM transmission?

no the 4l80e would not hold up to what i have in mind.. iam using the dodge 47rh out of a 95 ram with a suncoast triple lock converter, Goerends valvebody, to allow lock up in every gear, goerend input, laminated flywheel..

Here is some picture i took while i had the head off. very often people will have there head o-ringed and skip the valve job. My theory is if you have the head off do it all the first time! this is what i had done to mine.
1: Deck the head to a ture and even surface.
2: Have your valves and seats cut while you have your head off!!
3: Surface the exhaust side of the head ( be carefull, to much removal of material will cause clearance issues and could cause the exhaust manifold to bottom out into the block)
4: O-ring instalation
5: Install the HD valve spings.
6: Arp's to hold everything down.
7: minor port/polish

Attachments

• exhaust side.jpg
    exhaust side.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 45
  • o-rings.jpg
    o-rings.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 50
  • porting work.jpg
    porting work.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 35
  • valve job.jpg
    valve job.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 61
Did your Suburban have an electric transfer case?

yes, we are utilizing the GM transfercase in order to keep the push button 4 wheel drive working and such. Joe and his brother vass are the experts in getting all of that to work. If it was after me id probally go with the floor shifter:bang
I had to make an adapter that allows the 47rh to mate up to the Gm transfercase. I had a 1/4" steel ring cnc plasma cut. I then drilled and tapped it for studs that slide into the trans, and then i had the holes for the GM paterned counter sunk which allowed me to bolt the ring to the transfer case first.

this is a pretty cool project! I cant wait to see the finished product! Keep up the good work!

Thanks, we got to finally hear her run friday night and man does it make some smoke. we got the core support on and mounted the rad. and intercooler, both are 2nd gen dodge peices. got the drive shafts cut to size and the trans and t-case hooked up. he'll be running the silver bullet for now. oh and it has a Georend B. billet input shaft too. anybody know how much them burbs wieght anyway. cuz my truck is like 6900 lbs. it cant much more?

Thanks
Joe

Well after trying three overflow valves, differend line(s), 2 lift pumps, and 2 p pumps, i finally figured out that the injectors got stuck and was causing it to run horible, and eventually not run any more!!:bang This has caused more gray hair than it's worth!! Anybody want the burban?? J/J:hehe:
I just want to remind you guys with the suburban's that are looking to do this, make sure you DROP THE TANK! Running the fuel pump is not going to empty out your tank.. This being my first swap, I learned this the hard way. The suburban has a 42 gallon tank, when your on empty and once your fuel pump stops pushing there is still 2 gallons of fuel at the BOTTOM,
Anyway to the good stuff.. The truck is running Great now and i had to smile when i noticed the "check engine light" was on. My brother in law suggested we should play with the GM dealer and drop it off for a diognostic check!!:hehe: Engine wise its mostly stock, intill all the little things are figured out. All gauges work except the rpm, and speedo.. Now the rpm on the 454 runs off of the distibuter cap, While the 6.5 diesel have it easier and can run the stock alternator which gives them the rpm. Is there a box that can be purchased to pickup rpm off of my stock c position sensor? also the speedo is not cooperating.. I used the stock GM t-case since it has the speed sensor on it. all plugs are in on the t-case but still no speedo.. iam stuck..

Did you leave the ECM in it? I used the stock t-case on my '98 Tahoe, plugged everything back in, and the speedo works fine. I even went from auto to Nv4500. But I did use the factory harness and ecm to do it.

yes i still retained the ecm and wire harness.. The only thing that i think could be wrong, is the big gray 4 prong plug from t-case could not reach the harness coming down from the engine bay. I added a couple feet of wire in between and attached them with crippers.. should i sodder them instead?
By the way my anti-lock light is on...