another crank sensor forum

andyb3500

95 12 valve
my wires were hacked because of the fluid dampner finally all of the hack job came apart now nothing works with a new sensor no tach a/c and it doesnt charge so i cant drive at night at all what could be the issue

Could be somewhere else in the wires is a short or split or something,with the key on check using a voltmeter to see if you have power at the sensor plug.

Edit: You could also try the scratch test one of the guys talked about when my crank sensor went up. Turn the key with the sensor unplugged and jump two of the terminals (sensors should be set up similar) and have someone look to see if the tach jumps around while you jump the two terminals.

Could be somewhere else in the wires is a short or split or something,with the key on check using a voltmeter to see if you have power at the sensor plug.

Edit: You could also try the scratch test one of the guys talked about when my crank sensor went up. Turn the key with the sensor unplugged and jump two of the terminals (sensors should be set up similar) and have someone look to see if the tach jumps around while you jump the two terminals.

checked voltage it read 5.2. what should it read 12? im not sure tht may be a moron question?i pulled every single fuse in the whold truck tht i could find and nothing was blown is there anything else to check?

When i tested mine i think it was some 9 volts. Have you tried the scratch test yet?

I forgot I had printed off the schematics for this sensor found it when getting something out of the truck, it says its a 5v power to the sensor so you are getting the correct power to it. Sounds like its either a bad sensor or ECM, my guess is the sensor.

When I test mine it was 5v. I'd say bad sensor or it isn't adjusted right. I had to do mine a couple times. It was just little to far out.

well its getting 5v to the sensor and 5v on the return from the sensor the alernator is good and everything else is too i have tried adjusting as close as 50 thousandths all the way to 55 thousandths ever though it should be at 53 but i have no clue what the deal is now at all it maybe an ecm

i'm thinking bad sensor or just not adjusted right, i no when i did mine i tried the 49 thousandths it calls for and then 53 thousandths and it still jumped around finally tried 51 thousandths and worked since.

i scratch tested it and the tach did jump dont know if i posted tht or not. i checked all the fuses. even traced wires to try and find a in line relay of something. tried a ecm off a different truck and nothing works. i guess its all in the adjustment. i even took the sensor off a buddies truck (whose tach worked) and put it on mine to rule it out tht the new sensor wasnt faulty. now i cant get his to work again lol its been a helluva night. atross my fluid dampner is for the 12 valve. its new.

ok the scratch test basically proved that the sensor is bad, how did you check your alternator? i know i put a new alternator and sensor on mine and it's fine now. so where along the line your getting to much voltage to the sensor is what it sounds like if it keeps frying the sensors.

kinda a stupid question but you said your wires were hacked up, are you talkng about the harness side to the PCM also? if so are you sure you have them all hooked back up correctly, the power, ground and reference wire to the correct ones?

yeah everything is hooked up properly i traced them back to the ecm and everything checks out no more melty harness its all fixed now

yes i did finally! last night. idk what did it but i left for work tht morning at 6:30 and came home at three i told my self i was gonna set the gap one last time before i buy and eecm and it work i dont even know what the gap is i just guessed

hey as long as you got it running, and i know exactly how it can go, everything i changed around to try and get mine working was just a guess.