Another turbo question? BD special

Dirt_diver09

I thought I could try to narrow my questions by useing the search bar but really didn't find what I was looking for. Found quite a few threads about a bd super b but not the bd special.

So I'm looking into a bd special but I'm not really sure if that's the right size. From what I've read, it's gonna be alittle laggy. And some people has said it surges also. Alotta people love it but alotta people thinks it's too big.

The truck is a daily driver but hauls 3-5k maybe once a month or so. All my mods should be in my sig.

Thanks

Awesome charger, it will tow that easy and be fun on the street. Spool up and smoke will be fine if you use HPtuner or UDC. No it doesn't surge. Only time I'd advise people against this charger for a common rail is if they spend most of their time above 5000' elevation.

I'm roughly at 2382 elevation. So, that shouldn't be a problem. Should there be any modifications done other then turbo clocking?

The flange on the down pipe may be different than that on the turbo, but I'm not 100% sure.

all bd turbo now have been modified to be more of a direct bolt in. before you would loose that 45 degree elbow on your exh side and a supplied down pipe was sent with the turbo. now you reuse what you have. semi clock turbo is needed.

if i can mention one thing and do yourself a favour remove the manifold completely. couple nuts under neath can be a plain to remove for mounting the turbo.easier to do it all on the bench where you can get to them better.

all bd turbo now have been modified to be more of a direct bolt in. before you would loose that 45 degree elbow on your exh side and a supplied down pipe was sent with the turbo. now you reuse what you have. semi clock turbo is needed.

if i can mention one thing and do yourself a favour remove the manifold completely. couple nuts under neath can be a plain to remove for mounting the turbo.easier to do it all on the bench where you can get to them better.

That won't be a problem then. Getting ready to do some head work and studs. Hopefully while I'm at, I can get a bd manifold

Another question, is semi clocking where you rotate the compressor side of the turbo to be in line

Last edited:
Back