Another VP44 Thread

maxwedgehead

I just want some more opinions, with that being said I will explain my situation.

Last sunday I blew 3rd gear out of my nv4500, engine ran fine etc, fast forward, dropped trans got it rebuilt, poked it back in. Truck started and ran like normal, I made it about 3 miles down the road, shifted into 4th, rolled on the throttle and it sputtered and then died when I pushed the clutch in.

I steered it in the parking lot, cranked on it, jumped out opened a couple lines cranked till some fuel came out, closed them and it would only get up to about 300 rpm while cranking and stumbling, would never actually start, towed it home. Next day I cracked some lines turned it over, closed them, cranked some more it fired up.

Now I have a long crank, cold or hot it doesn't matter, also earlier today it sputtered and died again, rolled into another parking lot, cranked on it for about 10-15 seconds and it started and I went straight home, ever since I got the truck it has always surged a little on top end, but when towing on a long hill it will surge so bad it drops 20 psi of boost.

So my guess is the vp44 is shot? Thoughts?

Fuel pressure? If the fuel pressure falling out because its gelling up or too much air in the fuel?

Apparently the VP44 is working if its starting back up later. But it sounds like either gell or air issue.

Fuel pressure has always been 18-20 Fass has 9,000 miles on it. Also no VP codes, I just dont want to waste another grand since I've already spent 1,500 this week on tranny

Check out the blue chip diesel sure for vp trouble shooting.
Particularly the one where you jump power to the pump.. if it works at that point it's electronics.

I have trouble shot a few to where the ecm wad letting the negative ground properly..
Tap into the wire,ground it, and the truck runs fine.

Maybe the fuel return line got damaged when reinstalling the transmission. It's located at the driver's side near the back.

Hoping it's something simple for you.

Return line is not damaged, the other diesel tech at a dodge dealership I used to work at had a good crank sensor laying around and I poked it in last night, seemed to start a little better, this morning was about 18 Degrees, turned over about 3 times before starting, I guess we will see if it dies again.

I had a similar problem until I changed my crank sensor last week. Did it fix your problem?

What about crossover tube orings?

900 S white lightening.