another way to plumb twin turbos

Artsi_L

Bolting on primary turbo onto exhaust manifold, and slapping on secondary after that, does not initially spring to mind when thinking about exhaust side plumbing on twins.

This is however what Borg Warner has done on International VT275 engines.

I think this would make cold side plumbing more straight forward in the already crowded Dodge Ram engine bay.

I guess there is a shortage on 6BT manifolds that accept B2/S400..

Whaddya think?

Hey Artsi

Please post bigger pictures, they are too small!!

Jeff Garmon has done several sets like that

Isn't that mounted screwy?
Looks like the small turbo is mounted second, wouldn't that slow the flow from the larger turbo?
Stuffing all the air through a housing that wasn't designed to flow that much cant bee good.

dan

Timbeaux38 said:
Jeff Garmon has done several sets like that

--
--

Really?
I'd love to see some pics of his setups.
What turbos does he use?

The more I picture this setup in my mind, the more appealing it makes the plumbingworks.

It's a good way to plumb a drag/pulling truck, for street use it might get a little hot LOL LOL LOL

I asked Jeff one day "What kind of EGT's do you see on this thing?" His reply was classic Jeff Garmon, "Hell if I know, never got around to hooking the gauge up" :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

cummins had plumbes some larger engines this way if I can find any pics I will post them.

Few years ago I made overhaul for for Cummins NT855 generator engine. It was with twins:rockwoot: , bouth turbos are same size and it made 525 hp.

turbo's mouted direct is the best way no downside!

As I look at arranging turbos this way, I see no downside.

This way the primary charger will get hotter exhaust, hence elevating it's turbine side efficiency. That can't be bad, since the secondary will use it's wastegate to dump excessive exhaust flow anyways.

On a side note, I'd love to see Mr. "Billysgoat" to substantiate his claims in engineering terms.

The gauntlet is thrown.

- Arto

Artsi_L said:
As I look at arranging turbos this way, I see no downside.

This way the primary charger will get hotter exhaust, hence elevating it's turbine side efficiency. That can't be bad, since the secondary will use it's wastegate to dump excessive exhaust flow anyways.

On a side note, I'd love to see Mr. "Billysgoat" to substantiate his claims in engineering terms.

The gauntlet is thrown.

- Arto

Arto> I will freely admit I have no clue LOL All I am going by is what Mr Garmon told me about the setup and what I have heard. Basically with the same set of turbos plumbed in the "normal" manner the back to back setup runs higher EGT's. For a race, pulling or constant RPM setup this is not a big deal, racing or pulling you are not that worried about EGT's and with a constant RPM setup as on a generator you can control them with tuning of the motor to run in that RPM band. In street use where you are on/off the throttle you will indeedy get faster spool, now whether the EGT's will run up high enough to be a concern I have no clue, the only trucks I have seen with this setup were race vehicles.

Since many folks run twin turbos for heat reduction (Towing at high HP comes to mind), and having been told by folks who should know that this setup runs hotter, I stated it might not be the best for street use.

Please prove me wrong, or explain where I am wrong, always willing to learn :thankyou2: