Antifreeze help

jeremy153624

Ok so I work for a school bus garage in northern KY, we have been having a ton of cooling system problems. IE: water pump failure, hoses splitting open, oil cooler failure, egr cooler failure, and numerous buses have this muddy peppery rusty looking crap in the reservior. Most all of the buses run this Red coolant its called ELC (extended life coolant). But a few of the older buses have the green in them and we have zero problems with them, as long as the sca's are maintained. Now we got a barrel of this purple antifreeze in, the place we got it from says its the same a green I dont know. Im wondering if there is anyone out there having similar problems with the red ELC coolant, if so what were your solutions. The guys in the shop are all older and have been fed so many lies throughout the years and we had a rep for the antifreeze company come in and tell us that you can mix the red with green purple yellow or whatever color you want with no negative side affects. Ill tell you right now if you mix the red and green you get muddy jello for collant. Ill get a picture on here as to what we are dealing with on the hoses splitting open. Any help or input is greatly apprieciated.

Yes never mix the red with anything, its junk. I run the purple stuff in everything.

If its the purple stuff we have at work called Fleet Charge, then they claim it will mix with anything. We fill up all cooling systems with it and no issues in the last 5 yrs that i have known about it.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

All the Ford guys think red ELC is God's gift to man. LOL

john deere coolguard 50/50 premix is the best i have ever used.I have a friend that works at the bus garage where i live and he said all there new busses required John deere coolguard 50/50 or warrnty would be voided.

Fleet charge thats it, I couldn't think of it last night.

The bus shop I worked in has the exact same problem. All the newer stuff with red have millions of cooling related problems until you flush it out and put the purple in. I think the elc is too acidic because it even rusts out the barrel its in and barrel pump. I never saw the purple or green cause any issues.

We are trying to get the higher ups to let us switch everything over to the purple. How do i get pictures on here from my phone?

Upload to photobucket and post the img link.

[ame="http://m1056.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/jeremy153624/2012-03-02123220.jpg.html?newest=1&pbauth=1_uLEBonVPfaLdh1h3YMYz2aogc8d42NzJUwsaG2oWZLOpsZcn3ZcxEPHmboGw1KXWt%2BKhMVw3q%2Fc6fao2sx7lPFW8gn9PyTGOW8sJObFZ27EXz90xSrdjJN2UIW3zcuOY0RFAuxT9eWl98PCnSIuaXqtgvhS2sCt%2BlxlPk%2F3p1YY%3D&pbauth=1_uLEBonVPfaLdh1h3YMYz2aogc8d42NzJUwsaG2oWZLOpsZcn3ZcxEPHmboGw1KXWt%2BKhMVw3q%2Fc6fao2sx7lPFW8gn9PyTGOW8sJObFZ27EXz90xSrdjJN2UIW3zcuOY0RFAuxT9eWl98PCnSIuaXqtgvhS2sCt%2BlxlPk%2F3p1YY%3D"]Mobile Photobucket[/ame]

That doesnt appear to be from the antifreeze to me. Do you wash the engines with some kind of solvant to clean under the hood? One looks like it is dry cracked. I talked with a couple guys at my work and coolant wont eat a silicone hose.

No we only wash them after they blow a hose. All of the blue and orange hoses look like that after they dry out. We think its from the organic acid or whatever in the ELC. Its like its eating them from the inside, when the hose first comes off and is still wet you can take your fingernail or knife and scrape the orange right off

Does it feel like a silicone lubricant? I know the gm coolant has silicone mixed in, but requires alcohol to make it thin to mix with water. The alcohol eventually evaporates and the silicone becomes solid again. That eventually clogs radiators, thermostats, and taking out water pumps. Not sure if its similar or not, because its a red or orange color.

Back