Any Chance for a "Street Diesel" Class???

BilletGarage

Diesel Addict
If I understand correctly, these are the three currently sponsored drag racing classes . . .

1) E.T. Brackets - Bracket Racing - Flowmaster
2) Quick Diesel - 12.0 Index - Valvoline
3) Pro Street - 10.5 Index - Airwerks
and Quick 4 Overview from DI.

And then there are two Exhibition classes:

1) Pro Diesel
2) Top Diesel

Anyway, I am looking to compete this next DHRA season but I'm not thrilled with running E.T. Bracket and my truck is a ways off from running 12's. Is there any possibility of a "Street Diesel" class in the future???? Possibly running on a 13.5 index. This would allow everyday people a chance to compete with their daily driver's and not have to risk their livelihood or break the bank. Pretty much anyone can put a late model Ford, Chevy, or Dodge into the high 13's low 14's with exhaust and a hot tuner. That extra half second needed to dial in the index could be done in any number of ways (fine tuning, intercooler, Nitrous, etc). I think a class like this would draw alot of people and their rides from the parking lots into the pits.

I know a sponsor would have to be found and their is some work involved to pull this off but I think the benefit to Diesel Motorsports would be well worth the effort.

Just my $.02 - Would it work?

Sounds like a GREAT Idea to me. I think the class would eat up A LOT of time but give us more true racers.

Last edited:
EMcBride said:
Not a bad idea!

:thankyou2: Nice meeting you in Houston Eric! I was the shmuck taggin along with the DirtyBlonde and her cohort Pangela. LOL

Last edited:
Burner said:
Sounds like a GREAT Idea to me. I think the class would eat up A LOT of time but give us more true racers.

I agree! And I think by setting the Index around 13.5 it will be more than challenging enough to attract some serious competitors. I think it would also have the added benefit of attracting some to Quick Diesel and beyond in the future as funds permit and more experience is gained. E.T. Brackets can be fun, but I think a heads up racing class for the little guys with few or no sponsors would really take off.

I like the idea! Think of it as a "gateway drug" to draw people in and get them hooked! That's how I ended up racing NHRA Super-Gas (9.90 index). I couldn't afford to build a car for that class, but then they came up with 12.50 and 13.50 classes (which were changed the next year to 11.90 & 12.90). I won enough to build my 9.90 car, and I was definitely hooked. Even though it's still glorified bracket racing, it is much more exciting (both for a spectator and participant) when the cars/trucks are going down the track side-by-side. Making it a pro tree (either 0.400 or 0.500) will help insure that some holeshot victories happen, and that will also keep the spectators interested.

NADM, are you listening?

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Yeah, I like the sound of that too. LOTS of people would fit into that index I believe.

A heads up class for us slower guys, I like it. These is nothing worse than getting beat by a 20 Second truck when you drive a 13 second truck.....well except a red light.

Michael said:
I like the idea! Think of it as a "gateway drug" to draw people in and get them hooked! That's how I ended up racing NHRA Super-Gas (9.90 index). I couldn't afford to build a car for that class, but then they came up with 12.50 and 13.50 classes (which were changed the next year to 11.90 & 12.90). I won enough to build my 9.90 car, and I was definitely hooked. Even though it's still glorified bracket racing, it is much more exciting (both for a spectator and participant) when the cars/trucks are going down the track side-by-side. Making it a pro tree (either 0.400 or 0.500) will help insure that some holeshot victories happen, and that will also keep the spectators interested.

NADM, are you listening?

Regards,
Michael Pliska

My thoughts exactly!

I dont see how it would hurt anything. Everyone would love to come back to missouri and say they had to take their trucks to indy for a drag race haha...

Appeals to me. I think it would be a nice idea. I'm competing either way, but i think this is a great idea! I hope someone is listening!

Joe

I think it would be cool, it could also give more people the chance to get into drag racing with standard trannies instead of dumping $4k+ on an auto.

wideopen said:
A heads up class for us slower guys, I like it. These is nothing worse than getting beat by a 20 Second truck when you drive a 13 second truck.....well except a red light.

Yep! That is a great point! Also, some spectators don't understand the whole Bracket Racing concept so they assume that the driver of the 13 second truck doesn't have a clue what he's doing (Especially if he loses). I heard comments in the stands in Houston to that effect. "Why is that guy just sitting there?" - - - - "Let me drive that truck and I'll woop that other guy" . . . Etc. Etc.

I think if they have a "Street class", it should be a heads up with a realistic diesel truck weight. I have heard rumors of a 5500 pound class, yet that's still not a realistic weight for a true street diesel truck unless it's very stripped or it's a half ton conversion.

5500 is VERY stripped, I agree. 6,800 or 7,500 would be nice. I guess we would need scales at every event?

A 13.5 is a way that we could race heads up with out dropping a ton of money in a truck.