Any ideas why surging?

sisu

Hi.
My friend has surging proplem whit his truck, truck year is 98.5.
mods on truck 7x0.011 injectors, hx40 and edge juice hot. truck is surging very bad if edge is on level 6, low end adjustment dosent change anything.
he has tried another edge juice, no change.
with out edge boost is 34psi, with edge no pump wire boost 34psi in every level 0 to 6. with edge and pump wire on, lvl 0 34psi, lvl 1 35psi, lvl 2 36psi, lvl 3 38psi, lvl 4 39psi, lvl 5 40psi, lvl 6 42psi.
Fuel pressure 14psi on wot. edge backdonw % is 0.
Max egt1150 before turbo.
Thanks.

Every VP truck I have owned was a surge monster with the fueling on higher settings of both edge and quad products. All were manual transmissions and typically did it cruising in low RPMS for me.

However, surging is a generalized statement. I attributed mine to just being the characteristics of how a VP fueled. Many things can cause a surge though. Turbo related, APPS related, fuel related. You'll have to specify more.

Thanks. I think better way to say is cutting down the power.
It's in high rpms.
Truck is automatic transmission.

Last edited:
Turn all alarms and limits off. People don't understand but if you set a limit like your EGT's for 1,150 its starts like at 900 and start defueling. So if you want to see full power you got to ditch all the limits and alarms. I bet the power comes on full tilt but the EGT's will be much higher. You'll also find people with Edge Juice have this problem but people with Edge Comp don't. No alarms and limits...

Last edited:
He says that the alarms and limits are off. I am going to ask that again today.

He is using this feature of edge juice.
"In a competition setting (drag race, dyno run, etc) you may want to disable the max EGT, max boost and cold engine protection safety features for a limited amount of time. Temporarily disabling these safety features would allow the Juice module to run at its maximum potential. "

Best to still turn then all off. I don't trust a software switch to actually shut down the limits. Like I said before if you take a Edge Comp and Edge Juice they both have the same software it just the Comp doesn't have the alarms and limits like Juice does. But Juice is the module typically with surge and other issues.

Like I said for the testing ditch it all turn it all off. Set the levels for 1x5, 2x5, 3x5, 4x5, and 5x5. Then set for level 5 and try again I bet it will run way different.

How the limits can set off? I look edge manual thru and didint find a way to set limits off, only the software shut down the limits.

Its cutting down power only on level 6.
Thanks again.

My buddy has the same issue with his hx40 in his vp truck when he's in lockup under part throttle situations

How the limits can set off? I look edge manual thru and didint find a way to set limits off, only the software shut down the limits.

Its cutting down power only on level 6.
Thanks again.

Pretty easy. Set EGT's as high as possible, boost as high as possible.

Then set all your sublevels to 5. and set it for 5 or 6 for main level...

Ok I misunderstanding what I read. He has tried that, he took a video I try link it here.

Hot unlock is what is surging. Looks like the Edge module is junk or need to bent back and reprogrammed.

Did you set all your sublevels to 5?

yes he tried all sublevels.

No you missing what I'm saying... You need yo go through the main levels one at a time and set each main level to have a sub level of 5.

Like Edge Comp has a weird issue on some boxes. Say I set 4x1 and 5x5 and select 5 level. Now the truck runs weak and very low on power. But now set both 4x5 and 5x5 and now you have a new animal lots of power. Edge Juice might have a similar issue and why I'm asking for him to set 1x5, 2x5, 3x5, 4x5, 5x5. Just to verify its not another level bleeding over.

Ok. He tried that and everything is same egt boost and no noticeable increase in power. Is it just weak vp pump?

Every VP truck I have owned was a surge monster with the fueling on higher settings of both edge and quad products. All were manual transmissions and typically did it cruising in low RPMS for me.

However, surging is a generalized statement. I attributed mine to just being the characteristics of how a VP fueled. Many things can cause a surge though. Turbo related, APPS related, fuel related. You'll have to specify more.

I have always had the same problem. Exactly like you described low rpm lugging in 6th gear.