Any matte/flat/primer paint jobs

Rob D

Get R' Done
Just as the title says - anybody got this done to their truck?

Hey Rob D,
I do, but it's a older Dodge. It's PPG Hot Rod Black. It looks great when it's cleaned up, but I live on a gravel road that's mud 6 months out of the year. Also it gets a little shiny wherever you touch it alot, like the edge of the door where you rub your hand when you close the door. It's definatly BOLD, but hard to keep clean.

Also, it does get kinda old when people constantly say "so, what color are you going to paint it?" or "when are you going to finish the paintjob?" or "why did you leave it in primer?"

Check out my truuuuuck!!! - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

High toned -

I am pretty sure on trucks awhile back they did a special on a matte paint job - they used some type of clear cover that did not shine which protected the mat finish...might want to do a little looking around and see if you can find out what the product was, I think it would fix you "shiney spots" problem...not sure though!

You just spray the black base coat, then spray a normal clear coat with a flattener in it.

The flat clear leaves a matte, satin, semi-gloss, whatever you want to call it.

THe clear with flattener in it is not as "flat" as mine. Mine is like a chalkboard, it looks like it would feel like velvet, however it is smooth.
We did mine first as roachie said, and it was semi-gloss. Looked good, but not as flat as I wanted.
Sanded it back down an got the PPG that's on it now. I was going to do primer, but didn't want to put that much into it, then have it loook bad in a few months. Primer would be sweet for a older truck, but yours is too nice to just do primer. If it doesn't have to be as flat as mine, do it semi-gloss like roachie said. I think it would hold up much better. Mine is a pain in the butt, if your hand is dusty, you can leave a handprint on the side of my truck. It doesn't wash off, kinda has to "wear" off. Very similar to a chalkboard. When it's wet, it shines like a BC/CC paint job, when it dries, it's flat. Same with the mud streaks, etc.

It wouldn't be for awhile, I have a lot of scratches and dings all over the truck. Going to wait another year or so and then get some body work done...was just throwing the idea around of getting a dark matte grey or black - think it looks real mean. Was hoping to see someone with my body style having it done to get a good taste for what it would look like.

Just wait until you are ready to paint the truck right. It will cause more work later if you flatten it now.

Just wait until you are ready to paint the truck right. It will cause more work later if you flatten it now.

I agree, stripping multiple layers of paint just to prep a vehicle can be aggravating.

I saw this. Good looking flat black..

NF2_2302.jpg

I've had both flat and satin black cars before, and I think satin looks the best by far. Flat black starts to look grey pretty easily and just very dull in general