Any old school Precision Power gurus here?

TooMuchBoost

Comp Diesel Sponsor
I have a question for you:

When PPI (before DEI bought and killed them) came out with their .2 version of their 2 channel Art Series amplifiers back in the later 90's what did the .2 signify?

I've been told it only means it's a 2 channel amp which I say is wrong.

I've been told it meant those models had some type of thermal overload protection (maybe)

I myself thought the .2 models had a built in noise gate but I can't recall.

Does anyone happen to remember? I only ask because I'm doing a personal install with 2-600.2's this week that I've had since new and nobody can seem to recall what the .2 meant.

Thanks!

Don't you wish everyone still made amps like back then?
I'd take a few old Punch 45's over all the amps in my truck now.
I had 2 old Orion HCCA 750's back in high school...still kick myself for selling them.

2 ohms?

Minus the Pro Mos Series I thought the 'normal' Art Series of PPI amps were all capable of 2 ohm stereo or 4 ohm bridged mono?

yeah ppi and rockford was the chiznit back in the day. i really like memphis car audio now for their power and subs. their m-class line of seperates are not that bad though.

UNBROKEN said:
Don't you wish everyone still made amps like back then?
I'd take a few old Punch 45's over all the amps in my truck now.
I had 2 old Orion HCCA 750's back in high school...still kick myself for selling them.

Yup!

Nothing like an old-school hand-built Punch, PPI or Xtant IMHO but as soon as these companies were satisfied with market share they would switch to automated boards.

Then the market would go away and they would switch back.....stupid.

jamesl said:
yeah ppi and rockford was the chiznit back in the day. i really like memphis car audio now for their power and subs. their m-class line of seperates are not that bad though.

I picked up a pair of M class 8" coax/component set today as a matter of fact so we'll see how they do.

I have a box in the basement with various sizes of their Power series coax/components as well and for the money they were great back in the day.

Back then I even switched from Quart to them for some reason...I'm brain dead

I bought a mint Punch 150HD off of Ebay a wile back for $90. Stuck it up in the closet for later.

Back in the day I had Punch 45's, 75's and 150's at one point or another. I was told my 45 wasnt two OHM stable. Well, it worked fine. It would get so hot though that it turned the finish from black to bronze.

Another old POS amp I had that would absolutely rock a pair of old school Kicker c-12s was a Coustic 380. I know junk...but it was indestructible.

gotta love the old school look of just wires, no fancy connectors or gold plated screws that strip out. high-class right there.

My favorite old school amps were the Orian HCCA series.. But the first few series of Phoenix Gold was awesome also.

wideopen said:
My favorite old school amps were the Orian HCCA series.. But the first few series of Phoenix Gold was awesome also.

My favorite load 'em down and pound amps were the Pro Mos PPI's (had a 425 and 50) until Xtant arrived on the scene.

Then my new favorites were a Xtant 2200 on the highs and 1001D on the lows. I still have that 1001 in the closet along with 2 Audio Control EQT's and an EQX. I even have two Virtual Technology 10 boxes too (I hated to see them fold).

It's hard to get rid of the 'good stuff'.:evil

Last edited:
I had a Punch 180 that was in my '67 Camaro when I bought it back in '92...and it was ooooold at the time.

That thing was power hungry, but it would try to knock the centers out of a pair of 15's.

Outlaw1 said:
I had a Punch 180 that was in my '67 Camaro when I bought it back in '92...and it was ooooold at the time.

That thing was power hungry, but it would try to knock the centers out of a pair of 15's.

It's amazing what those old Punch's could do with the bass knob turned up 18db's.LOL

Once they heated up they drew dome current though....

Pro Arts

PRO arts are the ones to get. They are 1 ohm stable. I had a pro art 100 (a1200)back in the day and i sold it. Now all i have is a pro art 25 (a600)

ive got a punch 150 sitting about 10ft away from me rich :D

Yeah, the .2 jest separated itself from the previous years model. Yes it has a build in noise gate and better power supplies. the internals look completely different from the previous variants.

I used to date the owner's step daughter in college and I bought all kinds of used art series amps. burned out a few, got em all fixed. those amps are built so that if they blow, they are dirt cheap to fix. There are a bunch of "real" PPI gurus over at www.diyaudio.com and they could probably tell you much more than I could.....could even register and search their forum for most answers, I think this question has been asked. matter of fact: here it is:
In fact the Art series .2 was a beefed up version of their prior car amps. With a whole slew of engineered build ups inside like:

1: Extra heavy windings on the power toroid
2: Extra heavy duty fets in the power supply
3: High current noise inductor on the power rails
4: Modular ceramic channel driver cards
5: Heavy duty internal fuse
6: high current driver stage to the outputs to accomadate low impedence loads with failure.
7: Art series heatsink that allows for water cooling modification ( rarely used but possible back then). Shame most installers didn't have a clue about fluid dymanics and Hydraulics, so it never really got off the ground, or worked properly when installed.
8: heavy duty ground buss connection for speakers to the power supply.
9: Heavy duty high current isolated rectifiers in the power supply.
10: Low impedence detection circuitry to auto adjust the amps performance, and protection under short ciurcuit condition.
11: A regulated power supply to compensate for a cars poor electrical system. ( fairly standard back then)

Plus a few other things that I have forgotten over the years. So you see the .2 series art amp were already beefed up by professional engineers to handle the 2 ohm revolution back then.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83422&highlight=

Last edited:
These are the amps and systems Ive had

1 car 3 punch 150's
2nd car rockford Power650
3rd car (2) punch 45's 4 punch 150
4th car (2) ppi a600.2( still have them in my truck. I will never sell these. These are the best amps in the world. They've been in 1 ranger and 3 superduty's)
IMG_0598.jpg

My Mazda 3 has JL amps One 500/1 on a JL 12w6 and a 300/2 on some 3 way Jl componets. That little car rocks with one 12w6. Sorry guys I do have a little rice burner. Its my work car
IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg