any one running the Crower "budget springs" with a after market cam?

stevencritt

Just checking to see if anyone is running these springs with a higher lift cam. I'm having the coild bind on my springs tested, and install height after I resurfaced and had a valve job.

Ive heard a lot of conflicting opinions.

Are these the "budget" springs in a sticky on one of the other sites?

I imagine Zach has a vein popping out of his head somewhere in Texas.

They will coil bind, or just run your lash loose enough and you will be ok.
or better yet use stock push rods a. A fuse so nothing will hurt the bottom end.

They will coil bind

Pretty impressive you can tell that without knowing his installed height. To the OP, have your machinist check them and see if they will indeed work, if not feel free to upgrade them with something from F1, Enterprise Engine, Hamilton, or Manning, they are all produced by the same company.

Thats exactly why I was avoiding starting this thread. Ive read it all. But I did have my machine shop check them out and This is what they came up with. I had my valves seated about .015, so I'm sure that has to do with the seat pressure being much lower. Love to hear y'all thoughts. I have no bias one way or the other.

0421151859.jpg

Last edited:
Pen marks were bc they had a .020 shim under the spring, so install height is marked down .020.

Last edited:
So if there were .020 shims, why are they marking out the first point after the decimal?

So at .280 of valve lift... Coil bind should occur as measured..

Is that what I am reading

How do you figure? Those measurements are taken with .320 lobe lift. and total .413 valve lift. and i still have .067 clearance not factoring in lash.

just saw the other part of the chart that is nearly chopped off
still though what's up with the numbers crossed out?
measurement was for with .200 shims?
at least you have done research..

And is measured seat pressure with that .200 shim in there?
cause that is kinda shady.

the shim makes no difference in the seat pressure. its a computer that measures the resistance of the srping

The shims only affected the "install height", he needed more height on the spring to compress it all the way. So the computer read a 1.58 in stall height instead of the 1.38 that it actually is.

IMO, Hamilton's springs are "cheap" enough. How much cheaper are these springs? Is it worth all this hassle?

little over a $100 Got truck running, Turned over and check all springs, plenty of daylight at full lift. guess we'll see. Truck is running real good.

Back