Anybody run Trans temp on NV4500???

SSSDiesel

Sparkplug
Hey has anybody ran a Trans temp on the nv4500 5 speed? I have my tranny out and i was contemplating tapping it for the gauge. I'm just curious how hot it runs.

Why run a trans temp gauge on a manual?

makes about as much sence as stacks on a ricer IMHO.... The temp sensor measures only the temp on the fluid, doesnt really measure the temperature of what really matters, the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel assembly... so whats the sence in puttin that gauge there if it really isnt serving any purpose..

Rear end temperature gauge? perhaps... but again, how useful is it..

Rick

On a ZF6 that I helped with a clutch, there was a small cooler coming out of it. Not sure, but I think the G56 has a small external cooler as well. Might be something to it if they run coolers on them.

I don't know? when i pull triples doing 75 up 6% percent grades my floor gets warm so I crawled under my truck at the rest stop and my tranny was really warm. I just thought it might be a good idea to watch it.

The way I look at it, high power semi's have temp gauges to monitor trans and rear temps, and I've seen some get pretty toasty on a long, hard pull. Just because the fluid isn't used for transmitting power doesn't mean it won't get hot.

If your truck is used for heavy towing alot, and you'd like piece of mind, I say put one in.

makes about as much sence as stacks on a ricer IMHO.... The temp sensor measures only the temp on the fluid, doesnt really measure the temperature of what really matters, the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel assembly... so whats the sence in puttin that gauge there if it really isnt serving any purpose..

Rear end temperature gauge? perhaps... but again, how useful is it..

Rick

Using this mentality I suppose a engine temp gauge is useless since it doesn't measure the temp of the hard parts ie: block, cylinder head etc., etc.!

And why would a tranny temp gauge in a auto be any more useful??

i have run one in mine just put it in the filler plug hole oil will splash up on it and give a pretty good reading i neede to use a pipe reducer nut to make mine fit

I run one. My tranny runs hotter than most because of how I build it to race. Its been over 200F unloaded down the interstate with a fast cooler on a 70* day. A tranny built to specs should have no problems unless you are pulling some long mountain grades at high hp.

I have one also, never seen anything over 180 towing on a 90 degree day. I drilled and tapped the driver side pto cover and installed my sensor there.

I stand corrected now on my post above..

Thanks to DTR i was lead astray and wrong, bein i posted a similar question and got dogged like this,

CompD i apoligize and have learned from my mistakes..

orderinatrannytempgaugeaswespeak...

Rick

On a ZF6 that I helped with a clutch, there was a small cooler coming out of it. Not sure, but I think the G56 has a small external cooler as well. Might be something to it if they run coolers on them.

no cooler on a :rockwoot:g56

tranny temp

i have on in my 4500 installed in the port of the fast coolers never seen over 188 degrees hooked to the sled or on the street.

I have seen 200 plus degrees several times towing the fifth wheel through the mountains. My transmission is a rebuild with less than 20000 miles.

temp

the only thing i can think of differently is the coolers and amsoil synthetic.

The manualy tranny with the cooler is Ford's ZF6...they run ATF in them IIRC, and have a cooler. GM used the same tranny, with no cooler!

Wayne,

Exactly how did you rebuild it for racing?? 5th gear slider in backwards :evil :evil

Chris

OK, Chris, out of around 20 times that tranny has been out, I screwed up 1 piece one time.
It takes a little machine work, A LOT of quality time with a file, a good dial indicator (0.0001"), and a little JB weld. Some parts need more play, others need less. And things are at their sweet spot when some of the parts get hot enough to turn blue.