Anyone ever run Thornbirds?

gstanfield

Are we there yet?
Been thinking of tires/wheels and have kinda decided to stay with 16" cause I can run a lot bigger for the same money. With the money saved I can also have a lot more fun with whatever I have on there (burnouts) cause replacement cost will be low enough it won't matter.

So, anyone ever run thorbirds? I like the look of them. I'm told they aren't the greatest in thick mud, but have cool looks and do decent on the street.

Input? What's the meanest tire you'd run if you wanted to run around a 35" tire while keeping the tire cost to around $200 a piece?

Thanks,
George

ran em on my 71 landcruiser. great in the mud, best of luck to you on wet roads. loud too but with a 383 straight piped i didnt really notice:hehe:

I guess I should have said that these will be going on my stock rims just for when I go out to play. I'll buy a set of nice wheels with a mild AT tire for everyday driving and playing around at the dragstrip.

Thanks,
George

i loved em off road, aired down good, strong sidewalls with great lugs. had a pair siped for snow and they were insane but wore out FAST

I ran em on my old bronco... for as loud and as crappy as they rode I should have went with boggers. I would not recommend them, BFG mud terrains are a better street tire and they do jsut as good off road. If ride and noise doesn't concern you then go with a real off road tire like the SSR.

My buddy has the Truxus MT on his dodge, he loves them. They look like a good comprimise between a swamper and a mud terrain.

Great in the mud and in ruts, if you drive them at all on the road you can almost see them wear down, and if it's wet at all,,,, good luck

Procomp has a buy 3 get 1 free sale going on. You may be able to get a better tire and stay within your budget.
I have never owned Thorns but I have two friends that run them on Jeeps, never heard them complain about them. They are a bit loud on the street

where did you see procomp buy 3 get 1 sale?? i have been looking at getting a set of them.

I had some 35 inch thornbirds on my 2000 chevy and they shook like hell on the road but good in the mud, I then put 35 inch boggers on and they were LOUD but did not shake when I drove on the road, just when you take off slow you feal every lug on the tire, I loved them my self.

had them on a jeep with a 350 they rock in the mud and snow. but they walked on the roads. im running maxxis bighorns on the old 6 tizzel. they are quite and roll good. my shortbed has 35 bfg's mud ta's they go good to

i do not recommend them. i had them on the truck when i bought. they can be good in ruts because the sidewall lugs stick out so far. but the tread is too close together so they cake up easy, therefore they suck in mud. even interco labels them an all terrain tire. Bias ply, loud, and terrible off road. if you want to get a bias ply tire of that nature. get a swamper or bogger. or spend some extra coin and get tsl radials. i have had buddies that had those tires 40 to 50K. the thorn's will only get round 20 to 25K. i've had them, i know. these trucks are heavier than jeeps.

I know a guy who had them on a f 350 he hated them and got other tires a month later. He did not go off road with them though so can't say for that but I would guess they wouldn't be that great cuz well look at the small lug size

i have NEVER heard anything good about a Thornbird...ON the other hand if you are in the market for a tire that will wear down too fast and be totally obnoxious on the street I would go for the Boggers, a little pricier, BUT worth EVERY penny. I had a set on my 84 Chevy, drove on them everyday and loved them...the look and the performance offroad.

Just my .02

Rick

i also have never heard a single good thing about the Thornchickens.. but... I have heard a lot of bad things...

Get some new ProComp Xtreme M/Ts with the get 1 free... and my luck that sale hit just a month after I bought mine!

I'd stay clear of the pro compxts, a buddy of mine had them on his f350 and every time he went off the pavement he ended up with a flat and two of his flats were unrepairable. They just don't last well on a heavy truck, and the sidewalls are a joke, he took them off after a couple months and went with the mt baja claws.

sorry to hear for your friend... what size and load range? I have E's and am in construction and am offroad quite a bit. So far, I haven't had any flats and with a load, around 15k with 45psi in them (can go up to 80), there was no sidewall bulge and you couldn't even tell there was a load on the tires, so for mine, they seem to be very strong and the sidewall seems to be pretty strong, thus far anyways. I've had mine on for 4 months, so not too long but I've had nothing but great experiences so far. Guess we'll see tho.

IMO Procomp tires suck!
They are not round, they won't stay balanced, and the customer service at 4wheel parts is bad.
They have to run the buy 3 sale just to get rid of them. Just my .02

I don't know what load range they were, but were 315 75 16s, he got several flats just driving logging roads one of those were unrepairable, and the other one came just climbing over a curb parking it blew the sidewall out, nothing out of the ordinary just parking running the front tire over the curb to make for an easy park job just like I do with my schwab specials all the time. After having problems with them so often and talking with the people at 4wheel parts they said if he'd had asked there opinion they would have talked him into something else for his truck, they are not made for heavy trucks like ours.