anyone have the banks intercooler.. opinions??

pizziLLA

Pizza, diesel & jeep tech
like an idiot, i bid on a banks intercooler for my truck before thinking about checking around just for the stock alluminum guy around here...:bang

well the auction closed, and (lucky me) i won, so now i think im also the brand new owner of it. :doh:

i got a pretty good price for a new in box unit, but is it worth the extra $450 over buying the stock piece for $300?? i will need new boots also since the banks IC has 3.5" inlets where the stock has only 3"

opinions?? keep it or resell??

You will also need the High-Ram and the Tubes. contact us for Info

I know some guys that run them without any complaints, since its new and in your hands might as well use it.

I run one, as I got a great deal on it two years ago. You will need the high ram unless you can get someone to fab up a reducer for you. The high ram is somewhat of a pain due to the space it takes up.

Otherwise, it has held 80+ psi with no issues to date. Coupled with the Helix 2 cam I run, I netted a nice egt reduction of ~200 degrees on the highway. Non scientific study mind you! :hehe:

from all I have talked to that's about the only banks thing people like.. I'd search around and find someone who can fab you up a new intake though. The highram won't help you any, and costs way too much..

Lucky Jeff said:
from all I have talked to that's about the only banks thing people like.. I'd search around and find someone who can fab you up a new intake though. The highram won't help you any, and costs way too much..
id just assume fabbing one up, depending on the price i could get.... what about the boots??? where could i find those things?

thanks guys!
twisted and hellmann.. ill still get back to you on the stock intercoolers... im not sure i want to keep the banks thing... DEFINITELY not if i have to put their logo'd intake horn on my truck!!

pizziLLA said:
id just assume fabbing one up, depending on the price i could get.... what about the boots??? where could i find those things?

I have to see if I understand this correctly, you Paid $750.00 on Ebay, The complete intake kit for the CAC is going to Run $400.00, We sell them complete for $1,150. generally the CAC that are not complete are rejects from Banks that always, seem to find their way to Ebay..The sad Part is any items sold on Ebay that have BANKS name on them are unwarrantable.

Last edited:
uh oh! i think im falling into a deep rabbit hole with this banks intercooler thing. hmm.....

the first time ive ever done anything 'banks' and im already feeling the spoon in my a$$..ugh

Thank the resellers of Banks Product that are NOT Authorized dealer,I hear Ya, I will try and help any way Possible..

TCDiesel said:
You will also need the High-Ram and the Tubes. contact us for Info

Tubes I can understand...but why would the high ram be necessary?

x2 tubes maybe, you definitely wouldnt want to neck down after its been pretty high.. though it cant matter too much because its not like its 3.5" coming out of the turbo into the intercooler??

the cheapest way would just be to buy an adapter hose i suppose. haha that rhymes, wow its getting late!

anyways, im getting the vibe that i need to get this thing off my hands asap.

TCDiesel said:
Thank the resellers of Banks Product that are NOT Authorized dealer,I hear Ya, I will try and help any way Possible..
and id still believe it would be a brand problem. why would banks let a 'reject' ANYTHING leave their doors??? i guarantee that turbonetics, BD and the other aftermarket intercooler companies (that dont have a chip on their shoulder like banks) would never do anything like that... AND HAVE THEIR NAME ON IT??!!?

odd indeed, but thats what i would expect out of bigger companies like them..

CC12V said:
I'm not familiar with Banks intercoolers.

Banks is not familiar with me.

LOL

sorry bout your luck man, hope you can unload that on someone!! put it on DTR

definitely no offense to the DTR clan, but yes, it would be easy to walk away from this with no money lost except shipping expenses by putting it on DTR

pizziLLA said:
and id still believe it would be a brand problem. why would banks let a 'reject' ANYTHING leave their doors??? i guarantee that turbonetics, BD and the other aftermarket intercooler companies (that dont have a chip on their shoulder like banks) would never do anything like that... AND HAVE THEIR NAME ON IT??!!?

odd indeed, but thats what i would expect out of bigger companies like them..
They Have put concert effort into Stoping it, Each authorized retailer must meet Banks high quality requirements to become, and to remain, authorized, with extensive training and knowledge of our products. Gale Banks Engineering strictly controls the distribution of Banks brand products, and the right to use the Banks name, or Banks's trademarks, is restricted. Authorized Banks dealers are not permitted to sell new Banks products via on-line third-party auction sites, such as eBay. It is false and misleading for an auction seller to claim to have "New" Banks products for sale because it suggests that the seller is an authorized dealer by Banks to sell the product, and it suggests that the purchaser will receive the full array of Banks support (tech and customer service) that customers can expect from an authorized dealer. It is false and misleading to claim that the Banks factory warranty will apply to products purchased through eBay – Banks’s warranty is available only to the consumer who purchases directly from an authorized retailer in a transaction is authorized by Banks’s Dealer Agreement. The foregoing claims use the Banks trademarks in a manner to deceive consumers, and are strictly prohibited. In addition, Gale Banks Engineering is the owner of the copyrights in all pictures, text and graphics on the www.bankspower.com website. Banks is aware that unauthorized sellers often promote the sale of Banks products by unlawfully copying some or all of these protected materials. Again, such copying is strictly prohibited by federal law, and will not be tolerated by Gale Banks Engineering. Auctions that use copyrighted material, images or text, or imply themselves as an authorized Banks Dealer, will be aggressively pursued and auctions shut down. If your auction was ended early it is more than likely because of one or more of the above infractions. Gale Banks prides itself in associating with only the finest dealers, ones that are knowledgeable of our products and have actual physical locations, not dropshippers who are only known by an email address. If you feel your listing was unfairly ended, direct questions to tboardman@bankspower.com http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=gobanks

Last edited:
the person who sold this particular intercooler didnt claim to be a authorized retailer or anything. it sounded like i bought it from a guy who was selling it over on a website who bought it from a dealer, and yada yada.

its still odd, but its not like $25 worth of silicon adapter hoses wouldnt fix the problem at boot city. (thanks twisted shifter!) it seems like youd get the best of both worlds at that point!!!

now i could take advantage of having 'air density'[end quote gale] and not have to see his name bolted to my engine [puke]!! win, win situation! assuming i decide not to keep this [still] overpriced intercooler, i can sell it for about what i bought it for, boot adapters included, and then atleast the next guy will be able to use the thing without dicking around with buying another $400 worth of banks labeled crap, just to make it work!

still no offense to banks, because i dont have a personal thing against them [unlike 90% of this board]. im kind of neutral with them. i respect what GBE is trying to do, and they've done it... but still GBE is to diesel as KFC is to chicken. in my eyes they know a little bit, but not much. they just have better marketing. ive said that before on another GBE bashing thread[but who's counting.. theyre all over this site!!] theyre entire product line is overpriced crap. i envision people that like banks products [and pay full retail] to be the type of guys with who buy yellow H2's and put brush guards on them with 16 sets of KC hilites across their roof, and never once put the vehicle in 4x4 throughout their vehicles life.

i dont think anyone was really in the red here, it was just kind of dumb of me to leap into bidding on something i didnt really know what i was buying at first.. if i had known then what i know now, i would have wondered why it was an incomplete kit... and not purchased... especially now that i know i can get stock[and just as good IMO] intercoolers here for like 250-300.