Anyone Know about TDI VW Camshafts?

biggy238

I'm looking at a 2006 VW Jetta and i'm very curious about the camshaft(s). I didn't know I could look into the cover through the oil fill.

What i've seen on TDI club doesn't give a correlation between production runs, oil issues, so forth. I have read one gentlemans post that seems to think forces on the cam are reducing the oiling clearance and causing the spalling.

If I buy this car, i'm planning on having belts done immediately, and have half a mind to have aftermarket cams put in. Do any of you have any info on the aftermarket cams available?

We loved the car, but it needs brake work and the transmission shifts unlike anything i've ever driven.
Thanks
Kyle

Both Colt Cam's & Hamiliton Cam's offer aftermarket camshafts. On the belts just go ahead and buy the tools & do it yourself, I know your a professional mechanic Biggy so just pick up the tools and you can take care of it from now on. ;) Kerma & DieselGeek have good prices on the tool kits & belt kits and there's tons of "How to's" on TDIclub.

Also some websites to bookmark if you buy a TDI. And join up over @ TDIClub.com I'm on there same user name. ;)
www.KermaTDI.com
http://www.IDparts.com
http://www.DieselGeek.com
World Impex - VW parts / Audi parts / Mercedes Benz parts / Subaru parts / Volkswagen parts

Last edited:
Don't sweat the cam issue. Just get a cam from Colt that's been fixed and you're good to go for a long time. It's just a bit involved as you have the cam, lifters, bearings, and you have to replace the stretch bolts with cap screws.

Tdiclub.com is definitely the single most important resource if you own a tdi.

When it comes to TDI cams, Geoff from colt cams is definitely got some great stuff.

Ability isn't so much the issue as is time. If I can time a propane mitsubishi upside down in a forklift, I can Do this too. I just don't have the time or place now. Policies at work have changed. The aftermarket cams right off the bat and new belt are my first order of priority if and when we get this car, or any other like it for that matter.

Ability isn't so much the issue as is time. If I can time a propane mitsubishi upside down in a forklift, I can Do this too. I just don't have the time or place now. Policies at work have changed. The aftermarket cams right off the bat and new belt are my first order of priority if and when we get this car, or any other like it for that matter.

Ahh....that makes sense. I just remember you work for CAT and when you used to be on KYDTR you were always working on your own stuff.

Hahhahahahahahahhahha the axe is swift.

Paul give me a PM if you need me to know what you know.