Anyone know anything about Volvos?

bigstacks95

Diesel Doc
I have found what appears to be a great deal on a 1992 Volvo toter style truck. Sleeper, aluminum flat bed, single axle, air brakes, Volvo motor and 9 speed Eaton.

The owner claims that it is making water in the oil. Probably a head gasket or oil cooler I'd assume. Anyone know anything about those motors? From what research I've been able to find, it sounds like its a D12a motor? Though one website claims the D12's didnt come out in the Volvo trucks until 1993. They seem like they are impossible to get parts for, but for the price (owner said make an offer, was advertised for 2 grand) I am still intrigued. :badidea:

Are these things hard to work on? Are the D12 motors any good? Should I just forget it now? How are they for reliability, power, and fuel mileage?

I am having the owner send me engine pics tomorrow, she does not have any at the moment, and I'm hoping in the back of my head that she just doesn't know what she's talking about and its a Series 60 or something.

I'm not to sure it having a Volvo power plant being as it's basically a White/Gmc Road Boss. Probaly just a Series 60 or Cummins they also came with Cats.

I'm not to sure it having a Volvo power plant being as it's basically a White/Gmc Road Boss. Probaly just a Series 60 or Cummins they also came with Cats.

This was also in my thoughts. Waiting on engine pics to prove. My money's on series 60.

Maybe older P-pumped 12 liter? Dont know if they were sold in USA ?

Maybe older P-pumped 12 liter? Dont know if they were sold in USA ?

I guess that wouldn't be so bad, since I can hop it up for nothing if its like the P Pumps on the Dodges, etc. Still waiting on pics, she said she'll send them tonight. Also I guess it could be a sleeve leaking. They said they had someone put a radiator in it and ever since its have a problem with water in the oil.

Well its definitely a volvo. Anyone work on these motors? Any insight is appreciated.

881cf4ea11c51310d86c75af5094f540.jpg

7b41cd1200f1c62cf9fba32793ec3546.jpg

d8117b53489985d276287f231676237a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I'd Heisman out of there if it was me

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Well its definitely a volvo. Anyone work on these motors? Any insight is appreciated.

881cf4ea11c51310d86c75af5094f540.jpg

7b41cd1200f1c62cf9fba32793ec3546.jpg

d8117b53489985d276287f231676237a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Looks similar to ones I've dealt with in the industrial markets. They were a partnership with Duetz IIRC .

Yes, it is old bulletproof TD12 engine, only weak point is pushrods, they don' t like much over 3000 rpm.

What's up with the exhaust side of the turbo?

I've had a few of the white/GMC/Volvo trucks. Most all of 'em had something wrong with the gauges, cabs, & wiring. They just seemed cheaply built to me, but, so isn't the 'ol Western Star I have.

Yes, it is old bulletproof TD12 engine, only weak point is pushrods, they don' t like much over 3000 rpm.

what do you think about the coolant/oil mixing? Sleeve? Head gasket? Any of that stuff common?

what do you think about the coolant/oil mixing? Sleeve? Head gasket? Any of that stuff common?

Water in oil is worse than oil in water. Maybe liner o-rings. Not common but everything is possible.

They were really a good engine. Marines were 600 hp, can easily get more, beats B-model Cat anyday when tuned.