Anyone snap a Front Axle

dieseldog

just wondered if this has happened broke a dana 60 on a DD? Felt a pop on the drive home, pulled it over in a parking lot and this is what I found. Haven't gotten it apart yet to see what the rest of the story is. All I know is the Caliper is holding the tire on right now.

Attachments

• Truck 3.jpg
    Truck 3.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 53
Did you check the balljoints? My Jeep busted a balljoint and the wheel was kicked out like that. I've never broke an axle so I can't help you there...

I doubt you broke the axle, I bet your wheel bearings went to chit...my passenger side let loose about 2 months ago and it is a pain in the arse if you have to replace the axle seals...if it is your bearings that failed you might as well replace both sides while you have it apart....good luck

Don't drive it? What is the worst that could happen? Other than being in a small town in Iowa, and no parts places around that have one?

Well here is a list of the parts you should order....
-2 sets of brake pads
-2 rotors
-2 hub assemblies
-2 cans of brake cleaner
-2 axle seals (if they start leaking, which is a good possibility)
-2 friends
-4 cases of beer...

I ened up having to buy a new half-shaft on the passenger side and luckily my calipers were still good...

I would also add 2 new axle U-joints. Even if they look good, they aren't greasable, I think they are about 40 bucks each for greasables. That way you can put a squirt or two in them every few miles. Its easy to do while you already have the hubs off, thats the hard part....

yes, and although my truck is a daily driver I did it at a sled pull---so I can tell you that the advice you have received above is right on---I'd research the greasable u-joints though as they tend to be weaker than the non-greasable ones, but for a daily driver it may not be as critical ---have fun---chris

zstroken said:
Don't drive it? What is the worst that could happen? Other than being in a small town in Iowa, and no parts places around that have one?

Worst that could happen is it breaks the caliper and the tire falls of completely, most likely ruining the axle and or stub shaft.
I've been there, just stopped driving it before it got that bad.

Bobcat698 said:
Worst that could happen is it breaks the caliper and the tire falls of completely, most likely ruining the axle and or stub shaft.
I've been there, just stopped driving it before it got that bad.

yeah, once it happened, just drove it to the nearest parking lot, trees on both sides of the country road I was on. Oh well its my luck with this truck.