Anyone tow with a smarty?

Big Stu

Figured I would ask here and see what you guys thought, truck is an 05' 3500 cummins dually and my trailer is an 06' big tex 25 gn gooseneck. The trailer dry is 7100 lbs and I have been as high as 26,080 lbs gvw with truck, trailer and a load of scrap metal. I usually don't haul anything under 5 tons on the trailer and wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on towing with a smarty, if you do what setting is too high? Smarty is a a standard s06 with no tnt software. Thanks in advance.

Truck is going in next week for a billet tranny, I have always been hard on my dodge diesels LOL Truck has an intake and is stock other than that as far as mods go. It has fuel pressure, rail pressure, egt, boost, trans temp gauges.

You can probably run it mild without a problem..... You'll be much happier when you upgrade your turbo as well.

Tried it on an 04.5 6 speed with no gauges and 60hp tune and it blew a fair amount of smoke.towing 22-23k.with a stock turbo a smarty junior would be a way better choice.

Last edited:
stay below 4 untill you get your tranny then get tnt and run wherever it runs smooth every truck is a lil different my truck ran the smoothest on 9, not the most power but the smoothest..get a trans and try out pretty much all the tunes and see what runs best...

I have towed with mine on settings 3, 5, 7, 9 and have never had a problem with any of them. Without proper air the higher settings it could get a little hot, but nothing worth backing out of it. I always have mine on at least 3, it is going higher when I get the twins done.

i tow on 5 for the most part

just have a five inch exhaust, AFE 2, and stock everything else.. it does just fine, but i have not towed above 10K with that tune.. a 4 horse slant gooseneck (steel) fully loaded, and a sixteen footer with a bobcat has probably been the heaviest since i have owned the smarty... as stated, a bit smokey but once its up to speed and crusing, its not too bad.. i drive slow tho, so i just let it get up to speed on its own, hence why i dont mind it...

i towed stock tho a 32 foot big tex gooseneck with a backhoe 416B 4x4 enclosed cab, and on that same gooseneck a 4door short bed 4x4 d max without any problems, backhoe for about 40 miles, dmax for about 250.. oh and about 18 round bales.. on that same trailer... again about 40 miles or so..

from reading your sig tho, u will have the trans upgraded, so the settings above shouldnt be a problem...

I use levels 4 and 5. If you still have the stock trans.....just run stock! On level 4, with a 753 Bobcat and a 435 Bobcat Mini. It will still get hot, so watch your gauges. If you tow like a retard.....then bad things will happen to you!!!!

Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it. I've got a dpc triple disk that I can't wait to try out, just waiting on parts to come in for the tranny so we can start building it, should be a pretty stout tranny when we're done. Like mentioned, I will try some of the different settings and see what happens...:Cheer: