Anything to look at?

cumins01

Looking at getting rid of my 02 6speed and looking to buy a 07-12 dodge with a automatic trans. After looking thru tech pages, I see injectors, cp3, transmission, piston rings and front end seems to be the biggest problems. Transmission being the biggest one. If I purchase one of these year trucks it will have exhaust and gauges is all. Like to keep this one bone stock. All the one's I have seen have 100,000 to 120,000 miles. It will have a gooseneck hitch in it and it will pull 16k when pulling season comes around. What other issuses should I be looking (transmission mainly) for or should I just get one with a manual transmission? Sorry for the long post but just don't want to buy a POS! Is it worth it to put something in the transmission to help with loc-up or line pressure to help it out?
Thanks

If you had a manual before, you'll probably want to stick with getting another manual. Leaving it in stock form, you will be just fine. A clutch will need to be done eventually, but that's routine maintenance on a manual.
I'm not very happy with how my 48re shifts while towing. Never have been.

In my eyes, front ends are about the same with service intervals compared to your 2nd gen. Clean fuel, monitor fuel pressure, leave it relatively stock and you'll be happy.

I like the 68RFE for towing, 3.73, 34" tall tire, and 5th gear is a perfect gear RPM's are right where they should be. Then it gives me 6th gear to tow unloaded.

I do agree high torque and the 68RFE don't go well at all.

I always thought the 47/48 had limited gear selections for towing. The 3rd to OD jump was just too big.

I'm an old school fella so I wouldn't recommend anything past '98. Now in saying this, my wife bought an '09 cause that is what she wanted. We installed the deletes and exhaust with the smarty set on 3 and never higher. It had 18K miles on it when purchased.

It currently sets on 37's with leveling coils and when we go to races, it usually gets the call. We have never had any trouble with the auto trans (knock on wood). We did, however, have to replace head gasket, cp3 (my fault), ac compressor, and have had one heck of a fight with the death wobble. The truck currently has 65k miles on it. When the race trailer is loaded up, the combination grosses around 22k lbs and the '09 pulls it like a dream.

You just can't beat the newer technology for cool towing and the newer trucks are more comfortable and driver friendly than the old girls.

If she hadn't wanted this particular truck, we would be just fine with my 'ol '90 model. You also must keep in mind that the '90 model new, off the dealer lot costs less than omission equipment on the '09.

Just my $.02

Thanks for the input guys. I want to go auto cause my 02 with a dd 3850 sbc was a pain to back up or take off from on a hill. I do use it around the farm alot and that's one reason for the automatic.

Anyone have anything else they would like to add? Just wanting feedback or pros/cons of anyone who uses theirs as a dd to tow heavy loads (in re guards to the automatic) or any other issues that some of you may have.

Front ends. I have heard people gripe about Dodge front ends the last 15+ years. I have a 2005 that I bought new, that now has 180,000 miles. Of those, 110,000 have had 285/75R17 tires, on stock wheels, on the truck. I have brand new Dynatrac balljoints waiting to be installed, but I have no slop in the front end. Sure, I don't have stupid offset wheels and tires that are 16 inches wide, but it has not been a pavement queen either. I use my truck for what it was intended, and the front end has been fine. Snowplows, ranchhand front bumpers, and wide tires will kill any front end.

Last edited:
For what you are planning to do. An auto will work fine.

I used my 06 G56 truck around the farm and it was a pain. Only certain people could drive it. Thats why all my other trucks have been autos. Anybody can hop in it and go.

There are some decent deals on 4th gen trucks with low miles...... just have to find them.

dually2.jpg

2012 3500 only 32,000 miles. Leveled, air bags, gooseneck, deleted with Torque Tech tuner. 35" Duratracs. $40k and it can be yours!!! LOL

For what you are planning to do. An auto will work fine.

I used my 06 G56 truck around the farm and it was a pain. Only certain people could drive it. Thats why all my other trucks have been autos. Anybody can hop in it and go.

There are some decent deals on 4th gen trucks with low miles...... just have to find them.

dually2.jpg

2012 3500 only 32,000 miles. Leveled, air bags, gooseneck, deleted with Torque Tech tuner. 35" Duratracs. $40k and it can be yours!!! LOL

Nice truck. Alot of money tho LOL. How well does your automatic pull? What transmissioin is in it?

Front ends. I have heard people gripe about Dodge front ends the last 15+ years. I have a 2005 that I bought new, that now has 180,000 miles. Of those, 110,000 have had 285/75R17 tires, on stock wheels, on the truck. I have brand new Dynatrac balljoints waiting to be installed, but I have no slop in the front end. Sure, I don't have stupid offset wheels and tires that are 16 inches wide, but it has not been a pavement queen either. I use my truck for what it was intended, and the front end has been fine. Snowplows, ranchhand front bumpers, and wide tires will kill any front end.

I know about the crappy dodge front ends. How well does it pull? (hills, downshifting, upshifting, etc) I am going from a 550 hp manual 02 to a newer gen auto. So trying to get all the information I can but comparing apples to oranges. Since I'm going to pulling 16k about 5 out of the 12 months. Was told to do a converter and deep pan and it should be good since only adding a exhaust and intake to it.

My dad has a 2009 2500 with the 68RFE. So far it has been fine, bone stock though. Has 60,000 miles and we pull a trailer with it regularly. Everything I own is a stick. I would go with the 68RFE just for the 6 speed, but that means you will be buying an emissions truck. You could delete it, or put the money in a 48RE and be done with it. There are a lot of paths to take.

I have an 03 that I have owned for a year. Had an 01 before it (with 600 rwhp). Absolutely love the 03, it has about 140000 miles on it.

I have the 4 speed auto. I don't tow much but the transmission is already slipping between 1st and 2nd (previous owner had a tuner on it). I replaced the entire front end (carli ball joints, 08+ steering, new wheel bearings) and it drives like a brand new truck. I assumed the truck needed the front end rebuilt so I took that into consideration when buying the truck.

I used to have a built transmission in my 01 so that is about all I miss about the old truck LOL

Last edited:
Has the 68 in it. I really like it so far. Towing with it is really nice. Trans temp got warm once. But it was 100*+ day pulling my pulling truck through town.

I wouldn't, and won't go back to a manual.

I spoke with someone recently about the 6.7 vs. 5.9 and they said the 6.7 feels sluggish but out tows the 5.9 in stock form. I'm assuming the 69RFE has something to do with that!

However, I have to first hand experience with one.

Back