APPS wont reset

SuperDave4x4

popcorn playa
Well I've tried to reset my APPS 3 times via the procedure on DTR. It worked fine for about a half a day and then it goes back the annoying locking and unlocking of the TC. I saw a new post on here about how to adjust the voltage on the APPS so I'm gonna give that a try. If that doesn't work is a new APPS in my future? If so what do they run and where is the best place to pick one up?

The locking and unlocking of my TC is DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!!!!!! I'm being :eek:wned: by my truck.....

This may come as a shock to you as it did me, but try spraying your alternator with brake cleaner. I sprayed a whole can through mine to clean it out and my tc quit locking and unlocking. This find did not happen by accident. I was having the same problem so I called dusty at HTS and he explained the whole thing to me. There is no way I could explain it the way he did. You will have to call him to get the info, but it was alot simpler to fix than I would have imagined.:bow:

My ruck was doing this and i fixed the problem by cleaning all 4 battery terminals and cleaning the terminals on the alternator. It stems from electrical noise in the system.

Have you tried wrapping the brown and tan wire going from the alternator to the passenger battery in aluminum foil? It really helps. My tranny builder told me to do this. It just acts as a noise filter. DTT also sells a noise filter for like $70 that does the same thing.

Isnt buying a noise filter just covering an existing problem? Truck didnt need it from the factory.

Ya know, I couldn't tell ya. A randomly locking converter is usually caused by a random noise signal coming from either an out of adjustment APPS, weird ground, funky electrical noise. There are several cures for it and it varies from truck to truck. Mine was fine and then randomly started doing it one day. Wrapped it in foil and it was fine. Had it built and it started doing it again and then it suddenly went away. I went ahead and put the noise filter on it anyways since I did pay for it when I bought the tranny but I haven't had a single issue since. You've also gotta remember that the truck also didn't have the amount of electronics on it from the factory that we put on it. Between the gauges, boxes, voltage adjustments for line pressures, aftermarket stereos, lock up switches, turbo timers, lights, meth controllers (for those so equipped), and other electronic equipment, something is gonna get affected and for some reason the lock up controller is the thing most easily affected.

Last edited:
Yeah I never thought about the added electronics before. All I know is that I cleaned my alternator with brake cleaner and just like that the problem went away. Im sure it will be back someday.

Just another solution to the problem we are all seeing. It's such a random thing and there are so many fixes for it that no one can seem to pin it down.

Well my APPS voltage was .38 before I adjusted it and after I adjusted it I got it up to .54 and it is supposed to be set at .56 or atleast that's what the APPS said on the back of it.

I'm about to wrap that alternator wire in aluminum foil and if that works then I'm gonna order a noise filter.

BTW I just drove an hour and half with this TC locking and unlocking crap and I thought I was going to shoot myself.

i had a problem with mine....

i run a noise filter from DTT and re-set the apps and it would never go away until i replaced the alternator

Update. I wrapped the wire coming of the alternator to the negative battery terminal that BgBlDodge was talking about and it fixed the problem perfectly. I'm going to order a noise filter from DTT this week and hopefully that will solve the problem for good. Thanks for the help!

Good deal. Glad to hear that a redneck way once again solves a problem. LOL