Are Catalytic Converters Worth Any $$$$?

GhostRider7

Are catalytic converters (or factory exhaust) worth any thing? My factory exhaust has been sitting my garage for about 2years, and i was wondering if it was worth my time to try and sell it

thanks
jason

probably not worth your time, but when metals were sky high, cats were getting stolen... I've got a few stashed away

probably not worth your time, but when metals were sky high, cats were getting stolen... I've got a few stashed away

thanks man, however you said that you have a few "stashed" away, does that mean that you were one of the guys stealing them when metal prices were sky high!!:hehe: just kidding

you may see some of us cali guys asking for cats here in the near future...as of jan 10' we have emissions testing which includes a visual inspection of all original emission equipment:bang:rules:

you may see some of us cali guys asking for cats here in the near future...as of jan 10' we have emissions testing which includes a visual inspection of all original emission equipment:bang:rules:

hahahahhahaha- poor bastards

i've been told they are worth alot of money but thats just here say..i've got about ten here at the house

i have a few lol if mine has to ever go on it will look like its there thats all i can say lol

Well eventually we may all face that day.:doh:

Mine is the garage somewhere if ever needed. I think the coatings/alloys on some of the gasser cats were very expensive and could be reclaimed/sold. My understanding is the coating on ours is not that expensive and not worth the effort to try and reclaim.

However at around $800+ for OEM replacement, I will keep mine unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse.

BTW the cat for a 5.7L Hemi is around $1,100. I know it is smaller, so must be made out of more expensive stuff.:hehe::hehe:

most of the scrap yards here in wi just consider diesel exaust sheet steel which is going for 95 dollars a ton. good luck with it

Yes, catalytic converters are worth a little money, the have platinum peladium in them, we do exhaust and diesel at our shop and we have a guy come pick up our cats, usually gives us $8-$12 per cat, so if u only have one not really worth trying to find somewhere to take it, but if you have 10, thats $120 bucks, only problem you might have is turning them in might be hard due to all the cats that were stolen, I think you have to prove where you got them or something

Yes, catalytic converters are worth a little money, the have platinum peladium in them, we do exhaust and diesel at our shop and we have a guy come pick up our cats, usually gives us $8-$12 per cat, so if u only have one not really worth trying to find somewhere to take it, but if you have 10, thats $120 bucks, only problem you might have is turning them in might be hard due to all the cats that were stolen, I think you have to prove where you got them or something

you could have taken them to a metals recycler and gotten 3-4x that

I think the scrap guy ws giving us 40 bucks a pop when I worked at a shop....we'd get rid of 20 a week sometimes.