are my valves pulling through?

TheBullRoars

I didn't look close after doing valve springs at the amount that's through the retainer on intake vs exhaust. Are they supposed to be even? A lot of my intake valves are a little lower, some almost flush w the retainer. All on intake side

Have a set of ti retainers/locks on the way, but concerned about driving it over the weekend as its also my dd for now. Attached is a ****ty pic

Attachments

• IMG_20130919_125657_298-1.jpg
    IMG_20130919_125657_298-1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I was confused. What I'm looking at are the tops of the rockers. Now idk if those are caps or what. Perhaps there's no problems after all?

60# over valve springs. 4K gsk. Can peg a 60lb gauge but have only done it twice since the turbo swap

The exhaust note is def different after the 60# springs. You can hear them closing with authority

The valve closest in the picture looks to sit a little low in the keeper/retainer.
BUT, that could just be the angle of the picture as well.

Looks like the angle. Idk how common valves "pulling through" is, but I'd guess if it started to go past the indention in the valve... The keeper would fly out shortly after that with little rpm and drop the valve.

The problem is usually the keepers or "locks" pulling through the retainer, not the valve pulling through the locks themselves. If the top side of the locks are a consistent depth relative to the retainer for each individual valve, you are just fine. If the locks are deep in the retainer, they are pulling through.

Valve lash will not significantly change when the pull through because the valve stem height is controlled by the valve face against the valve seat in the head, the locks/retainer do not affect stem height.

The problem is usually the keepers or "locks" pulling through the retainer, not the valve pulling through the locks themselves. If the top side of the locks are a consistent depth relative to the retainer for each individual valve, you are just fine. If the locks are deep in the retainer, they are pulling through.

Valve lash will not significantly change when the pull through because the valve stem height is controlled by the valve face against the valve seat in the head, the locks/retainer do not affect stem height.

Thanks very much. Loved your infamous build thread

Back