ARP head stud valve cover clearance?

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
I know in the directions it says to have your rocker stands milled to clear the new arp studs. Is there anyway around this? Maybe shave down the webbing on the underside of the valve covers? I know you can tap the bolt holes deaper but me+tapping+metal shavings = engine disaster

Any ideas? :bow:

the old way of doing it was to just take out the webbing like you suggested.. Luckily we have a CNC machinast (sp) at work named Walt who took care of the rocker arm tower for me. :rockwoot:

hey wait I take that back.. aren't the new studs for the towers shorter then they use to be since they want you to mill them? :what:

Heck the new ones might be shorter. I got these 6 months ago

well if they're the new ones then you'll find out right away that they're too short and you won't even be able to get the nut on all the way. So If they're the old ones, get to grinding.

Just get a 12mm x 1.75 bottom tap and run it in and out a couple of times. Its only the last couple of threads that are hard to cut. I just did all of mine and the studs screw in all the way down so easy and clear the valve covers by far. The studs need to have all the threads grabbing into the block in my opinion. ALL the threads on my studs that go into the block are below deck level.

Sorry my head was full of farts last night when I posted this. Let me clearify my issue as I think I confused myself!

You are supposed to shave down the rocker stands so that there is enough threads to bite on these studs. I guess there is no other way to solve this issue? I apparently have the shorter new studs that have no clearance issues with the valve covers (I don't know why I thought they did)

Any machine shop should be able to do it easily.. They have instructions as to how much needs to be removed. I can't imagine they would charge you much at all.

I just got a set right before indy and was expecting the long pain in the butt studs. Mine fit just perfect!

There is a really easy fix for the longer studs. Just take a 1 1/8 hole saw and drill a hole right where the studs are rubbing. Smooth it up with i die grinder and get you 6 oil bath hub plugs. They fit right in there and even act like a breather. Plus it looks really good.

I just got done with a set of the new style 12mm's as well. They are too short to use without notching the pedistals first. I actually preferred the old style because I had a jig on the end mill and could clearance a set of rocker covers in about three minutes, versus about two hours of setup and cutting etc. on these.