ARP stud install

Lucky Jeff

Stock Sucks
Anyone figure out the best way to clean out the threads? I had a blown head gasket and two of the bolts around #5 were just nasty. Plus I'd like to make sure the others are clean. Most don't seem to like to chase em with a tap. Would spraying something like carb clean (or something along those lines) into the holes and blasting them with some compressed air do the trick? Or???

I also forgot how to torque em properly, it's been a while since i've read up on the install for these things :poke:

What I usually do is load em up with brake cleaner and then screw the bolt in, this forces whatever is in there out without causing a big mess with an air chuck. Now, I do this 3-4 times to ensure there is no more watery/oily residue left in there. Make sure to keep a rag close to the boltholes to keep spillage to a minimum.

BTW, this usually takes linger than torquing the heads....sorry :) PS, see my sig for reliability info, I run 47psi daily + water/meth, so mayber you want to get more serious on larger power platforms

Ken

just posting so i can keep an eye on this one as i want to be installing studs here sooner then later

I just installed mine I filled the holes with brake kleen like KEN, then I sucked it out with a vacuume (I duct taped a small hose on my shop vac that would fit in the holes), then used 3-in-one-oil and a M12x1.75 bottom tap and tapped all the holes, then filled the holes with brake kleen and sucked them out again they were clean :rockwoot:!!!

You could always take the stock bolts and grind the two oposite sides of them flat and run them in and out a few times as well. Used to do this on ls1 motors and you'd be suprised how much stuff this will remove. I'd imagine the bolts on these cummins motors are much stronger and harder then the ****ty torque to yield ls1 gas motor bolts so grinding them may take much longer.

Also, make sure to remove any of the fluid you put in those holes or bad things may happen when you torque the head bolts/studs down.

Lucky Jeff,
I placed a call 800-826-3045 to ARP & talked to Al about the very same item.

There is also a thread in another forum specifically about this very same subject. It has all your info,:bow:

WAYNES WORLD

I ended up spraying some Brakleen into the holes.. sucking it out, then spraying it again and running one of the studs down the hole and then back out and sucking the fluid out. I'll probably spray them once more to make sure I got everything and suck them dry again with the shop vac. It seemed to work pretty good, there were a few with a LOT of crap in em. And a few with oil :doh: . They threaded down easily with the brakleen in the holes, but the oil wasn't quite so forgiving

We just did a friend of mine's recently. We sprayed some WD-40 into all of the holes, then bottom tapped all of the holes. Clean the tap w/ compressed air, and some brake cleaner or something and you should be good... Cleaned the bolts on a wire wheel, then dipped 'em in oil, and threw them in... Studs are coming later, so we cleaned everything up real good while the head was off...

Back