Assistance with my new Build

Schoust

Ok Guy's I believe that this subject might have been talked about but I searched and did not find what I was looking for so here go's. My search has ended and I have located and purchased an 05 slt loaded completely stock so this is the very first thing that needs to change! I am looking for a Smarty to start things off so who has the best pricing and support? Which model is best? Secondly I want to install my 2nd gen 62/71/13 Charger on the truck and have heard it is a possibility but I like to here from anyone who has done this mod.
Thanks

With the smarty if you buy new, every vendor should be the same price. You could always buy a used one to save money. You'll want a S06 with or without POD (power on demand). If you want to run betas you'll want one without the POD. With your turbo you'll need a 2nd gen exhaust manifold, custom air intake and a downpipe.

you don't have to have a 2nd gen manifold... you can just run an II downpipe and a BD compressor elbow. but I would run the 2nd gen setup :)

does your truck have the in-tank lift pump retrofit?

To be honest Forrest I'm not sure about the in take deal? How would I know that? From what the Po told me the only thing that he has done is the front end bearings an breaks. The truck has 52k miles on it. To be honest I kind of like the idea of not removing the exhaust manifold and if I can buy what I need from II to install the turbo that's the way I'll go... What are the advantages of doing the in tank deal?

Being that it's a 05, would it not have the pump in the tank all ready?

Edit: if it's not in the tank, it will be on the back of the fuel filter housing. I'm pretty sure 04.5 and up are in the tank. I had know idea that you could run a 2nd gen turbo on a 3rd gen manifold.

Last edited:
05's are in the tank , and in all honesty i would get a 2nd gen exhaust mani you will be alot happier with it!

I wasn't sure when the cutoff for that was... wasn't sure if all 05's were in-tank or if some were still block mounted.

If you've got an in-tank pump, you don't really need to mess with the fuel system IMO

you're going to want to remove the manifold to swap the turbo anyhow :eek:

in order to install your turbo with the stock manifold, you'll need an HX40 downpipe. I believe II sold/sells them. And you'll need a 90* elbow from BD that comes in their super B kits for the 3rd gen trucks. They might have the downpipe also, not sure.

Also, your wastegate actuator will need to be changed to a 3rd gen actuator. I think I have a couple here at the house, but I would just put an E.D. drive pressure actuator on it.

If you want to do a 2nd gen manifold, a regular 2nd gen HX40 downpipe will fit perfectly. On the cold side, I can help you get the pieces you need. The way I do it, you have to make one weld on the steel pipe

Well I'm not sure at all what the 05 has but I hope what ever it is it will handle some power!I'm kicking around a parts order from Dave at Goerend Bros. I'm thinking at 52k the trans is still young enough to benefit greatly from the parts! As far as my turbo goes is it to conservative for a common rail Truck? What kind of power will it make? Am I bettor off selling it and getting a 64mm? Or should I ship it back to HTT for a 64mm mod??What do you Guy's think...

So what kind of Power can I expect with a Smarty and this turbo? I mean everything I have read of late on this forum has pointed to a 64mm Comp. Instead of the 62. I dunno I guess I could stick it in and see what happens.... How about fuel Forrest are these injectors up to the task in stock form? I have heard a lot of Guy's talking about Modding the cp3's,when does this mod become necessary? At what power levels??Oh and I was wondering what's a drive pressure actuator? Is that AKA the head gasket saver Loli never new there was such an animal? Then again I have not done a whole lot of performance hunting, not lately that is.......

it's just a spring and the wastegate opens with drive pressure vs. using a pressurized canister to push against the spring. It's just way easier to work with and adjust.

with the smarty and a 62, you should be around 500rwhp or so. I think you'll be very pleased with that combo :)

keep it simple at this point and you might just end up leaving it like that! LOL

that's what I did with my 06... Smarty and a turbo, and I've got no need for anything more! LOL

Ok well I guess since I have the 62mm charger I can use it but from everything that I have heard and read about the 3rd Gen's ability to easily spool the 64mm do I upgrade or??. As far as the fuel end goes at what point doe's one begin to think that the stock lift pump & cp3 do not cut the mustard in stock form? I am asking these questions because I believe that if I need parts that are key to a successful build now is the time to get those parts! And as far as this 52k mile trans would I be better off just driving the truck and going a bit easy when the tuck has any weight to it or what I have been thinking is get the valve body and converter and cross my fingers that this buys some time. This truck is completely different than the old 12 valve so I'm just looking to get the best bang for the buck and make sure that buck is invested right..
Thanks

62/71/14 ran real good on my 03. It was a good combo with my 90s and modded pump, great mpgs too. Dyno d 502hp with boost leaks, forget the tq#s its been a few years.

a rail pressure gauge will tell you when you're on the edge of the fuel system... which I don't think you will be with just the Smarty

Back