Auto Trans puller

Big Johnson

I'm building a 2.6 pulling truck and already had a built auto Trans in the truck so I'm sticking with it. So my question is about the brakes, I have to brake boost since it's not a manual so I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to upgrade the brakes to hold the truck better while I'm brake boosting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loosen up the converter to allow higher rpm before pushing through the brakes

Stock brakes will hold it fine then.

from phone

Last edited:
wasting your time, i missed with an auto for a few years, couldnt get a convertor to hold more then a few hooks

There are several guys running autos with no problem.

I bought an auto for my 2.5 truck that came out of a strong running 3.0 truck and he never had a lick of trouble out of it.

wasting your time, i missed with an auto for a few years, couldnt get a convertor to hold more then a few hooks

?? The main problem with autos isn't durability it's spoolability.

from phone

Last edited:
The factory brakes will do just fine. Like said above, just get a loose converter.

You can put a GM slave cylinder in them as the 3/4" have a 7/8" one and I think the GM 1 tons have a 1 1/16"

You can put a GM slave cylinder in them as the 3/4" have a 7/8" one and I think the GM 1 tons have a 1 1/16"

You know anything more about that then the info you stated? Like what year trucks you can swap.

I have a 3000 stall and I cant hold mine on the line in 4low.

I think it is early 90's 1 ton. Any auto parts store should be able to help, I got mine at advance auto for like $15 each or something about 6 years ago.

While on discussion, I have gotten 3+ years out of a transmission, and almost 5 years out of a convertor. When I opened the transmission up there was no reason to replace any clutches other than I had the trans opened up!

In my opinion the turbine needed for an auto to work is going to limit peak HP. Some guys just say loosen the stall up until they have to use lockup and then I think that is when the folks struggle to keep the convertors and transmissions together.

You know anything more about that then the info you stated? Like what year trucks you can swap.

I have a 3000 stall and I cant hold mine on the line in 4low.

I don't see how it's not holding. I broke a front axle this year holding the truck so hard with the brakes. And that was with a turbine wheel bigger than 96mm

Only thing I could see is your Turbo spools so well it's making to much boost to hold at 3000rpm. And if that's the case there is no reason to spool it that hard.

from phone

Last edited:
Oh, you were talking about the brake cylinders. I know about that upgrade but I already have disk brakes all around. I thought you meant that the actual slave cylinder on the hydroboost system.

Oh, you were talking about the brake cylinders. I know about that upgrade but I already have disk brakes all around. I thought you meant that the actual slave cylinder on the hydroboost system.

That's actually a master cylinder not a slave cylinder.