auto transmission problem

Dazed&Confused

Surfing my own world
Ok guys hoping someone can help me out here. We have a 97 F-350 PSD with the E4OD trans. Sometimes you will drive down the road and the truck acts fine. Here recently sometimes it will act like reverse is out and then not want to shift to third or OD. The fluid is bright red and full with no hints of clutch material and smells like new atf and not burnt. Someone give me an idea. Does it have a NSB switch like the allison does? The other day i put it in reverse and had nothing. I shut it off and let it sit for a while. We went back out and it went into reverse fine and had no issues. Trans shop says its fried the clutches and i dont believe that.

If you have a nice scan tool you can make a custom data list of the shift solenoids. theres only two. Scan tool usually shows something like ss1 and ss2 on data list. In first gear i believe both solenoids are on. When truck shifts into second #2 solenoid turns off. first solenoid remains on. third gear the #1 solenoid turns off and # 2 solenoid stays on. and in overdrive both solenoids are commanded off. Have a buddy ride with you and watch the scan tool when driving down the road. If you see the shift solenoids turning off and on and the truck isn't responding then its the trans fault. if the solenoids are not turning off and on then its the trucks fault. Hope this gave you some help. sure did with me.

Back