Availability of 2.80:1 ring and pinion for a ford 9in

NicG

the only way to fly...
Anyone have a line on sub 3.0:1 gears for a 9in ? I've been searching all day and the one set I thought I had tracked down was from a manufacturer that went belly up. I guess some top fuel guys used them back in the day but they are extremely hard to find. Any help would be awesome!
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

You have to look and see Richmond may make that set but it may not be for your Third Member.

If we wanted 2.91:1 gears again we would have to get them custom made.
We are running a Ford 91/2 housing though. I know for the 9" housing with the drag spool the gears will ahve to be custom made

Richmond Gear lists a 2.80 set

You have a part# on that? I called and was told that their race gears only go to 3.50. I might have got bad info or the gear your referencing might be a light duty/OEM style.thanks for the input

Gears

That number is for a small pinion street gear. Richmond only goes down to a 3.4 in a big pinion pro gear. Strange is the only one that had 2.91 but it does take a lot of custom stuff to make it work. It was I think $2500 to make it happen.

That number is for a small pinion street gear. Richmond only goes down to a 3.4 in a big pinion pro gear. Strange is the only one that had 2.91 but it does take a lot of custom stuff to make it work. It was I think $2500 to make it happen.

You talking machine work to the housing?

I believe case mods, pinion support as well as a carrier. If my memory is correct.

I believe case mods, pinion support as well as a carrier. If my memory is correct.

Yeah, I talked to someone from Mark Williams today who said about the same.getting pro gears is proving a bit difficult in that ratio range. 3.00:1 would be okay. I can get those in a pro style gear. probably won't be as tight in the housing,avoid the custom machine work.

You have to look and see Richmond may make that set but it may not be for your Third Member.

If we wanted 2.91:1 gears again we would have to get them custom made.
We are running a Ford 91/2 housing though. I know for the 9" housing with the drag spool the gears will ahve to be custom made

You have a reputable custom gear builder You've worked with? Thats good info.most places I've talked to want you to run 15-30 sets. Couple of NASCAR builders out there that build one off gears. haven't gone down that road yet though. Gonna run 3.00:1 and see how it goes.

Gears. 3.08 and lower gears

Ebay item numbers

Thiers still a pile of 2.70's down here in Texas that were Eddie Hill's TF old stock but thier also expensive. Peyton will prob. be able to help or have something in stock. I know they made 2.50, 2.70, 2.80, 2.90. Might also check with John R on here, he had a 2.91 P. Gear set a while back in his car that he wanted to sell when he went back to 3.40's might check with him and see.

Thanks for the info guys. I love compd.....:D