B1 Steroid

Schoust

Ok Guy's I'm lookoing at a b1 steeroid turbo does anyone know the specs on this turbo? What kind of fuel is needed to spool this thing can it be usede for everyday driving??

What other mods do you have? they can work well on a daily driver with the right stuff

Ok The truck is a 95 auto with 1oo plate stage two injecters fro Pensicola Diesel equivlent to 370's a set of Smokems delivery valves I think they are equivlent to 022's is this enough fuel to spool it?

I would really recommend a HTT 62/12 or even a HTT 64/12 over a B1 steroid. Chipmnk blew a Steroid B1 up and hasn't been able to destroy a HTT PS66 on the same truck with a meaner setup. What's your truck info?

branodn.

joefarmer said:
I would really recommend a HTT 62/12 or even a HTT 64/12 over a B1 steroid. Chipmnk blew a Steroid B1 up and hasn't been able to destroy a HTT PS66 on the same truck with a meaner setup. What's your truck info?

branodn.

I actually think my B-1 Steroid performed better that my PS66 i cant run the times that i did with my Steroid with fuel only

My truck info is above,my biggest concerns are do I have the fuel to spool it and is is it ok for every day driving? I'm also hereing some say it is a very laggy turbo and takes time getting used to. Anyway it seems to be priced decently and with my limited budget I may not have to many other choices?

If you do any towing at all, and like to run in OD, you'll hate it. If you don't mind running in Direct when you tow something, it won't be bad!

A steroid B1 shouldn't be too bad to daily drive...I would say plan on it spooling around 1900-2000RPM, but it should support some power!

BTW, this is based from my experience with a B1, not a Steriod!

As far as specs...I think it is a 63.5mm inducer wheel, with some turbine tweaks the standard B1's didn't get. Probably similar to the bigger exhaust sizes on the Phat Shaft and Pro Street units. Like a 71mm wheel in a 16 housing?

Do you know for sure Brett?
Chris

Last edited:
Yeah not %100 but it's like a 63 compressor wheel and the exhuast housing has alot of work done to it and should have a equivelant to a 16cm housing, it's not a Holset so they don't go by cm. But it's pretty laggy, but will support large hp. I never did check but i think the drive pressures were prob better with the Steroid over this PS66 but im gonna check the PS66 i think they might be hurting me.

So guy's will the fuel I have support this turbo? I have been trying to find the specs so I can have Smokem take a peek at the map and maybe help me decide whether or not this turbo would be a good choice or not?? Who made this turbo any way?? I can't seem to find the info??

Schoust said:
So guy's will the fuel I have support this turbo? I have been trying to find the specs so I can have Smokem take a peek at the map and maybe help me decide whether or not this turbo would be a good choice or not?? Who made this turbo any way?? I can't seem to find the info??

Turbo Auto Diesel out of Tenn

dzlfarmboy said:
Your right it's Pheonix, Az......bad memory

No Problem...happens to the best of us :hehe:

As far as spooling it...sure you'll spool it. BUT, I ran a regular B1 on about the same setup (175 pump, 181DV's, 370's, #100, 3K, and 17* timing) and I made 362HP/858TQ. EGT's were HOT, 1500*+ wastegated at 38psi. I think that by the time the charger started to cool the EGT's they were already too far gone to keep in control!

A 62/14 or a HTT 62/13 Stainless would probably be better for you!

Chris

Ok Guy's thanks for the info and I will keep looking for somthing in the used department,if anyone knows of anything for sale let me know......

B-1-2t

Just some more info on the B-1 series.

I'm running a B-1-2T which is a standard B-1 with a clipped turbine wheel which helps the spool-up. This particular turbo is non-wastegated.

In valet mode which is about 370 HP on my truck, the turbo starts to spool at 1550 to 1600 RPM when towing and is fully spooled at 1700 RPM. Peak boost at full power is about 53 psi at sea level.

On My '97 12 valve the engine mods are as follows; PDR stage 1 ported head and Camshaft, 4" exhaust, DDP stage 4's, PDR pump work with a number 100 type plate and BHAF.

Best Dyno to date with 370's (haven't dyno'ed with the DDP 4's yet) is 542 HP and 1200+ ft-lbs (flat lined the torque reading) on #2 fuel only.

dzlfarmboy said:
I actually think my B-1 Steroid performed better that my PS66 i cant run the times that i did with my Steroid with fuel only
Hmmm... now I'm curious to see what Mike dynos with the PS66. What's the wastegate set on your 66?

I think the steroid B1 turbine tweaks would have included clipping the wheel so it flowed more but was less efficient.

brnaodn.

The Turbo that dzlfarmboy has/had that was a B1 Steroid was a one off piece built for Jetpilot.It was made to endure the constant thrashing Doug was doing with his truck on the dyno and built for a nitrous setup.It also was one of very few sold that were wastegated.

I am not what all the hype on these chargers are,meaning the HTT series,Industrial Injections Phat Shaft line and the B1's as theya re all based off a S300 frame anyway.The shameful part of it all is not one of the major diesel turbo manufacturers/vendors use a turbo industry standard to rate their chargers like every other one does.Garrett,Turbonetics and a few of the otehrs all at least give you numbers to tell you what you have and not the old "well its like this turbo,kinda".

The B1 is a proven piece and has taken more abuse than most others out there and its usefullness has only been hampered by the guy making them being so slow to deal with.If you have the paitence and can wait,you should be very pleased with a B1.

I sit in amazement at each time something newer comes out and everyone wants to throw whats been out and is proven onto the fire pile.....Andy

joefarmer said:
Hmmm... now I'm curious to see what Mike dynos with the PS66. What's the wastegate set on your 66?

I think the steroid B1 turbine tweaks would have included clipping the wheel so it flowed more but was less efficient.

brnaodn.

I've tried it all over on the Dyno, but does its best @50lbs, and i got er all the way open for the bottle and makes like 58ish, ( I have a TurboSmart bleed off controller) nice for quickly changing the wastegate.

Back