bad mix!

dangerous06

diesel tech
Well seems the oil cooler took a crap got fluids intermixed am I just done or can it be cleaned out? Radiator is not an issue BUT THE TRANS IS!! Drained everything putting a new cooler and was wondering if there is something I can add to the tranny to get all the coolant out? Seems to shift good still but the thought of water in the tranny has me cringing!

I've seen this happen quite a few times. I had pretty good luck just flushing it, then dumping and repeat.

For that matter, what's the best way to fill? I typically buy trans oil by the 5gal bucket, and then ziptie my funnel in place and try and hold the full five gallons in a slow pore. By the end, I've spilled a small amount and my arms are super tired.

If you got tranny fluid in the coolant, depending on how long it's been in there, you will probably need to replace all coolant hoses. The tranny fluid makes them soft and they will swell then burst.

Recommendations? I had a plastic one that didn't seem very efficient. It eventually broke.

Also, do you guys fill until it spills? Go for a drive, then top off?

I got all of mine at napa. It bolts onto a 5 gallon bucket and has a nice metal pump with a metal spout on the end of the hose.

I had this happen on our 1990 BMW 535i where the cooler inside the radiator burst allowing ATF into the radiator and coolant into the trans. I drained and filled both the radiator and trans, using cheap ATF and straight water then flushed the cooling system a few times. I also flushed the transmission several times with the cheap ATF until the ATF coming out looked as good as going in then changed it one more time opting for good quality ATF. Never had any problems with the cooling system or transmission after that.

If you got tranny fluid in the coolant, depending on how long it's been in there, you will probably need to replace all coolant hoses. The tranny fluid makes them soft and they will swell then burst.

Yup blew the first hose yesterday! Damnit!!

I had this happen on our 1990 BMW 535i where the cooler inside the radiator burst allowing ATF into the radiator and coolant into the trans. I drained and filled both the radiator and trans, using cheap ATF and straight water then flushed the cooling system a few times. I also flushed the transmission several times with the cheap ATF until the ATF coming out looked as good as going in then changed it one more time opting for good quality ATF. Never had any problems with the cooling system or transmission after that.
Yup blew the first hose yesterday! Damnit!!

I don't think he believed you. ha ha

Back