Bad news

Holysmoke

My buddy took my truck to the drag strip for me to see how she will run. Well at the 1/8 mile she blew a head gasket. He said boost was up to 150 psi when it went. So till next time thats when I will be home to run it again in july.:ft: :tree:

Insane yep. Needs a pop off. Or one that works if it has one.

It dont have one, But looks like I More than likely will get one now. I am going to change out my head studs. Apperently Haisley machine has some "new" 12mm that are supposed to hold like teh 14 mm? Any body heard that?

ARP Custom Age 625+ 12mm head studs...Strong as 14mm studs and can be torqued to over 150 lb-ft...Never seen a price on um so Im assuming its one of those "If you have to ask then u cant afford it" deals...With ARP's standard studs running $400-$450 I would guess these run up near $1000 a set...

Moose

Moose said:
ARP Custom Age 625+ 12mm head studs...Strong as 14mm studs and can be torqued to over 150 lb-ft...Never seen a price on um so Im assuming its one of those "If you have to ask then u cant afford it" deals...With ARP's standard studs running $400-$450 I would guess these run up near $1000 a set...

You are just about on the money.... But when you factor in labor for machining th head and block you will be ahead of the 14mm studs as far as pricing.

Doug

Moose said:

Moose

I am gettting them for $650. Turbos I am running are htt 62cm/14cm and a big brother on the bottom.

Holysmoke said:
He said boost was up to 150 psi when it went
Dr Phil remembers awhile back you were concerned with how to get respect and have a big name around here. Dr Phil would suggest that this is not how to achieve that goal. Dr Phil would also like to know what intercooler and boots you are running that will hold 150psi? Dr Phil also is interested in what the drive pressure was at with 150psi boost?

Dr Phil said:
Dr Phil remembers awhile back you were concerned with how to get respect and have a big name around here. Dr Phil would suggest that this is not how to achieve that goal. Dr Phil would also like to know what intercooler and boots you are running that will hold 150psi? Dr Phil also is interested in what the drive pressure was at with 150psi boost?

Dr.Phil sure is nosey today....:hehe: :hehe: LOL LOL

Moose said:
ARP Custom Age 625+ 12mm head studs...Strong as 14mm studs and can be torqued to over 150 lb-ft..

I have them, and WOW what an awesome addition! 160ft. lbs from a 12mm is the cats meow!:rockwoot:

Holysmoke said:
I am gettting them for $650. Turbos I am running are htt 62cm/14cm and a big brother on the bottom.

Then they are not the ARP Custom Age 625+ studs..... My bet is they are the A1 H-11 studs at that pricing.

Jetpilot said:
Then they are not the ARP Custom Age 625+ studs..... My bet is they are the A1 H-11 studs at that pricing.

cheapest price I've seen on the *625's is $900 +change....worth every penny too.....
:rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot:

That is defiantly not ARP NEW AGE 625 there are only two authorized sources for these, Doug Smith is the person that stepped up to the plate and ordered a large quantity of these custom studs . If anyone has them it’s because they come thru him, if not the cost would have been several thousand dollars a set. I can assure you his cost is well over that quoted price, so I would assume that these are H 11 studs which have hydrogen embrittalment problem..

The problem with 14 mm studs is it takes to much material out of the structure of the block and if you don’t rebore the block with a torque plate you will have a less then perfect bore for the rings to seal in. install 14 mm studs and you may have the head clamped on tight , but ring seal that is less then desirable

Jeff you like the quality of those studs , its like you ordered something for a Formula One the way they package them , , well you did, that is what that material was intended for

Dr Phil said:

I did not drive it so I cant say it was or wasnt, he plumbed in his own gauge (mine only goes to 100psi) and said 150 psi. I am not running an intercooler I have straps holding my pipes together. I did not throw this out to get respect. I will be getting my head studs from van haisley. Not sure if they are those arp ones or not. Just said they are as strong as 14mm. The price I said was a figure that my friend tossed out I dont know the actual price.

Dr Phil was not attacking you. Dr Phil knows very little about diesels. Dr Phil was just curious as to what the drive pressure was with such an elevated boost reading? Dr Phil is also curious as to why one would forgo the intercooler on a street truck? Dr Phil wonders what effect that has on intake air temps as well as EGTs?

Dr Phil said:
Dr Phil was not attacking you. Dr Phil knows very little about diesels. Dr Phil was just curious as to what the drive pressure was with such an elevated boost reading? Dr Phil is also curious as to why one would forgo the intercooler on a street truck? Dr Phil wonders what effect that has on intake air temps as well as EGTs?

I dont have a gauge to measure drive pressure so I cant answer that one. I bypassed it because althought it is a street truck, I dont know where to stop so instead of always putting boots on or replacing intercoolers I can go straight into the engine. When I am getting in it I dont worry about egts or intake temps I just hope everything sticks together. I dont even run a fan on the truck right now.

COMP461 said:
Jeff you like the quality of those studs , its like you ordered something for a Formula One the way they package them , , well you did, that is what that material was intended for

LOL yeah I am used to the standard studs, open the box and I seen these beauties were individually wrapped in a transit protecting plastic tube-LOL all they needed was a little gift bow on each stud-LOL

These *625's are the shnizzle!!

Standard ARP studs 125-130ft lbs

These *625's 160 ft lbs!!!!! Nice clamp load !!:cheer:

:bow: ARP has the finest available fastener for every job- and I'm proud to say they are a sponsor on my racer!:cheer: :rockwoot: