Banks Technicooler Kit

BilletGarage

Diesel Addict
I know Banks is not admired amongst the vast majority of Diesel Junkies like myself but I am becoming increasingly drawn to their Technicooler Kit for my 2005 F250. For those who don't know, the kit includes an upgraded/larger more efficient intercooler, oversized 3.5" boost tubes, new boots/clamps, and their High Ram intake. I know Spearco's are well respected but most people I know who have them have not seen the advertised hp/torque or cooling gains advertised. And at $1500 just for the intercooler it's a bit steep. I am not saying the Banks system will perform better but I can pick up the Banks Technicooler Kit for about $1150 shipped to my door and it will allow me to get rid of the one plastic boost tube which I am waiting to split anyway.

So, if you can lay your disdain for Banks the person aside, what do you think of the product. Give it to me straight. Personal experience with this kit would be awesome!

Mine is Richards old one, but honestly it works pretty good. I would have prefered to go with a Hellman, or Turbonetics, but the price from Richard was used. The intercooler works great. I can run 85-90 with temps below 700 on a flat stretch of highway. If you are not in a big hurry, wait a few weks till I get the new turbo and injecotrs in, and I might be selling mine and upgrading. If I do, I have everything you would need, except the actual intake elbow, The two I have are 03's, but I would buy one of the polished aftermarket ones before I would buy the banks one anyway.

Dalpilot said:
Mine is Richards old one, but honestly it works pretty good. I would have prefered to go with a Hellman, or Turbonetics, but the price from Richard was used. The intercooler works great. I can run 85-90 with temps below 700 on a flat stretch of highway. If you are not in a big hurry, wait a few weks till I get the new turbo and injecotrs in, and I might be selling mine and upgrading. If I do, I have everything you would need, except the actual intake elbow, The two I have are 03's, but I would buy one of the polished aftermarket ones before I would buy the banks one anyway.

Very interesting. Just out of curiosity, why would you want to ditch the cool boost tubes? I have a polished intake elbow already so that's no problem. The elbow is the only difference right between the '03/'04 kit and the '05/'07 Kit? Let me know if you decide to sell things. I would be interested.

NO not the tubes, the whole intercooler. Just to upgrade to a Hellman custom one. I hve two sets of CAC tubes, and yes the only difference is the elbow.

Hellmann used my truck to prototype his first 6.0 intercooler and it replaced my Banks which Tim now has.
Both work well...but the Hellmann piece out performed the Banks piece in my truck.

UNBROKEN said:
Hellmann used my truck to prototype his first 6.0 intercooler and it replaced my Banks which Tim now has.
Both work well...but the Hellmann piece out performed the Banks piece in my truck.

Did you use all the Banks Boost tubes and elbow with the Hellman Intercooler?

I did. Dalpilot has those from my motor he boought also.

Rich when you say it outperformed...was this a seat of the pants difference or temp differences or what?

I really like mine. It is bigger and I have no problems with the temps staying reasonable.

Temp differences. It was about 50* cooler when driving and the pyro climbed slower on WOT runs.