Batteries Dead...

DirtyBlonde

The Pink & Black Attack
Riddle me this:
I re-installed my CB radio last night, wired it straight to the batt. w/ an inline fuse and on/off at the radio, woke up this morning to a low voltage gauge.

Drove to work, no problem, came home 5 hours later with no problem starting, but still showing low voltage, got home, turned the truck off, went to restart and did so with some troubles and could sit in the cab and literally watch the voltage go down with the truck running. Turned it off, and 15 seconds later the truck was completely dead. Anyways, re-charged the batteries, re-connected without the CB's and both were dead again within an hour.

Alternator? Or something odd that I'm missing that's pulling that much power so quickly?

'98 Ram 2500, 24V

Thanks!

I'd like to know what happens with this.

I installed a "painless" wire system under my dash just for this, I got from GENO's.

Hmm Mine Is Hooked Same Way Straight To Batterys Dont Wish Bad Luck On Me But Maybe Alt Dead

Charge the batteries and start the truck with the charger removed. With a digital voltmeter check the battery voltage while the truck is running and it should read above 13 volts if the alternator is working and around 13.8 if the batteries are charged.

I am not familiar with the '02 wiring but maybe you broke or blew a fusible link?

Any other codes? A bad crank sensor can cause the system not to charge

I hate electrical related mumbo jumbo. The truck's not throwing any codes, except for that my ABS sensor just went, too. Threw the re-charged (yet again) batteries back in and started the truck (with pure luck) to run it two minutes down the road to the shop (Did I mention I HATE electrical mumbo jumbo??? And I figure I'll use up the extended warranty for the 900 miles left on it) about 30 sec. into the drive once I got on the accelerator, the RPM's jumped up to about 2200 at 30 mph and all the guages went and the lights came on.
I'll let ya know what the heck I broke this afternoon....

Alternator took a dump.
The ABS sensor appears to have just been a string of bad luck. When it rains, it pours...
Thanks for the help, guys!

It didn't sound like it was charging, be glad it was the alternator and not the charge circuit in the PCM.

Back