battery dash light?

BIG JUICE

Hey guys, got a question about the dummy light on the dash. just started getting the battery light coming on last night when i was running around town. As soon as I was running down the interstate it stayed off. Then my girl was driving the truck around today (idling a lot and doing stop and go driving) and its back on steady. any ideas? I have two optima redtops that are less than a year old. Could the alternator be goin out? The shortblock was replaced 2 weeks ago and haven't had any problems until last night. What should I be looking for? thanks in advance!

i would def be lookin at the alternator also i would check to make sure the connection on back of the alternator is tight.

Pull the alternator and have it checked. Autozone and many others do it for free. It could also be your batteries.

Pull the alternator mine was doing that for a week or so while it was giving out.. It drains the battery when that light is on and sometimes makes it hard to crank over... mine did the exact same thing yours is doing and after a while it would only work in the higher RPM's and cut out while drivin around town..

what's weird is it cranks like the batteries are fine still. so I am thinking the regulator in the alternator is bad. I'll pull it tonight and see what the guys at advance auto say

sounds like the alt to me. Mine did that,light would go out at hwy speed cause the engine was reved up.. alt put out enough power then . Not when driving in town or at idle. mine finally gave up the ghost .... thats what my auto elec tech told me when i had it replaced

It was the alternator. I checked all the grounds too. It putting out almost where it should be but I guess with all the electonics on the engine it just wasn't enough juice

Back