Beat to death topic: 2005 with 150% overs S369 vs S467.7

dieseltech8100

Cummins Nut
I'm looking for some kind of help (certifiable). ABSOLUTELY NO TO COMPOUNDS. (Thank You).

I have been still kind of on the fence on turbo selection. The truck is an 05 QCLB 4x4 auto with Firepunk comp stage 1, stock stall DPC. Engine will be fresh bored 20 over with Mahle open bowl pistons, stock rods w/ARP hardware, balanced with fluiddampner and main studs, Hamilton 178/208, 150% s&s wide spray injectors, stock and LMM ATS dual fuelers, stock head with o-rings held by ARP 2000, Hamilton springs/rods as well as a valve job, Stainless Diesel T-4 manifold, and will be dyno tuned with HP Tuners when I get to that. The guy that I normally deal with swears that the 467.7 is the best turbo for me, but I am debating the 369sxe (he's on the fence about the durability of small frame turbo at those kind of power levels, as am I), although I have heard that towin with the 67.7 can be a pain in the but sometimes and that the 369 makes amazing power down low.

My goal is 850ish HP but I would be happy with higher numbers as the truck isn't the daily driver that it used to be. The truck HAS to be able to haul my 5th wheel (~5000#) to the events that we like to attend (local, regional, and national pull events as well as camping and general fun weekends an occasional trip to Wyoming/Colorado), but I still want to be able to push it into the low 11's in the 1/4 mile when I decide to go, or embarrass the local muscle car guys (especially with the camper hooked up).

I'm really looking more to the 369 for it's good spooling characteristics. My biggest concern is the drive pressure of the .9 housing at these kind of pressure ratios.

Sorry to drag this subject through the mud again, because I know it comes up but I also know that the majority of the fuel setups that I see are lessor injectors.

TIA

With everything your asking for, quick spool, 850+, being able to tow, single turbo only with all the fuel you have not wanting twins my best advice is to do an s362/s480 because they will fit everything you are wanting. But if your really stuck on a single I wouldn't even think about running an s300. S467.7 would be my vote.

I think you would kill a s300 in pretty short order as a single. I have a displacement advantage on you but I can tow easily with a s400 all the way up to 10,000 feet elevation (35 foot toy box) . FYI I run a 188/220 with 50% overs and a small pulse towing about 1800us max. I used to hate the turbo but as soon as good tuning was available it changed everything. It drives awesome with and without a trailer. Same size turbo you are looking at.

With an auto you will have no issues with the s468. I have towed some pretty heavy loads with mine and the lag between shifts sucks sometimes but once it hits about 7 psi (will stay above that 99% of the time towing with an auto) it will take off as soon as you want it to.

I'm also on the fence between these two turbos but I've seen some people say the 369 out flows the 467 and it comes with a fmw and 360 thrust bearing so that makes it very appealing but just like the comments above people don't think it will live long at higher hp levels but someone has had to of tested this by now

Frankly s400 or s300 journal bearings are risky anytime your driving them hard. As long as your not barking it at will and keep drive regulated with a gate or reasonable fueling it'll survive.

Speaking as someone who found this out the hard way when a 466/83/1.0 oversped in a split second when the intercooler boot blew and lost pressure and,smoked the bearing.

The sxe369 with a 1.0 I have as a secondary I wouldn't hesitate to run as a single.

Back