Beige lifter cover?

JamieWood

Blowin' Smoke
Started tear-down tonight and noticed that the lifter cover was painted beige and the rest of the block was grey. Would this possibly mean that it is an industrial block?

I was under the impression Cummins delivered the engines painted beige. My 94 engine was the same way.

JamieWood said:
Started tear-down tonight and noticed that the lifter cover was painted beige and the rest of the block was grey. Would this possibly mean that it is an industrial block?

Beige is the color used for "recon" engines. Buy the truck used?

Every Cummins that I've taken apart has had beige under the gray paint. This includes '95-'04.5 engines.

joefarmer said:
Every Cummins that I've taken apart has had beige under the gray paint. This includes '95-'04.5 engines.
?????? My 04.5 is clear coat. All the engines that I put in at work(CSPL) that are reman, are beige. All our NEW engines are either Black or Clear coat. The Mexico plant ships all reman engines painted beige with the Recon badge. Maybe your rocker cover is off a Recon engine.?

I'm simply stating what I've found so far. Under the grey/black paint is the beige Cummins paint. All factory original engines.

That's what I've seen in my limited experience. The beige is what Cummins paints them initially. Depending on who's putting it in what determines the final color. I have so little experience, though, I could be totally wrong.

Ive also seen known Dodge/cummins original engines painted Beige under tappet cover noise blanket and inside the cover of timing case/oil pan.$.02

Recon or orginal....be assured that you are getting the same high quality.

It may be a recon. I bought the truck used. The truck has 280K on the odometer. I pulled the head off and with 280k there is still perfect hone markings in the cylinders and through further disassemble all of the main and rod bearings look perfect also. This kind of has me wondering if someone may have put a recon engine in the truck.

Also, the crank is real rough it is almost like someone has taken a grinder to it. I have a 24v crank to compare it to and the 24v is smooth. Are all 12v's this way?

JamieWood said:
the crank.

Looks like a hack job of trying to remove casting marks for windage and oil return control or maybe someones bad idea for taking weight off the counter weights. 4 inch grinder, maybe? I know Cummins didn't do that.....

Last edited:
My factory valve cover was painted black over the bare aluminum and my block is black as well. 01.5 truck.

I have notice the biege on factory engines also, valve covers, tappet covers, gear case ect.... and no they were not recons, maybe it just depends on where its built.

Here's a mind boggler. The crank is casted with Made in the USA, but is stamped in ink Made in Mexico. Any takers?

JamieWood said:
Here's a mind boggler. The crank is casted with Made in the USA, but is stamped in ink Made in Mexico. Any takers?

Mexican-American crank?:hehe: LOL The ink means that it was assembled in Mexico. RECON. Do you guys realize how many motors are not brand new? When there are as many motors out there as Cummins has....they want to recon not forge and assemble. Next time you buy an engine from Cummins and try to keep any part off the old engine...they will kick back your core credit. I've seen them do it for a water pump. The warranty is the same on Recon or New.

Last edited: