Belt alignment

NCOVEY

More projects than brains
Does anyone have a sure fire way to align pulleys on a serpentine belt drive system? I tried using a belt, eyeballing it , and even a laser, but it just doesn't seem right. Any ideas are appreciated.-Nicholas

When I did my last one I measured and measured, eye balled and finally got it where it needed to be. As a sure fire way, no. Basically it was trial and error for that truck. I tried to use straight edges with a level on them to get everything square and straight to each other.

I used one of those laser levels from Home Depot. Has a magnet on it and throws a wide straight line. Line it up with a slot on the other pulleys and then align the other one to the same place.

Thanks, guys, I tried the laser level, but either my level or my eyeball is off, 'cause it still looked crooked.

I have those days too. I can swear something is off by at least 1/8" or so, but the level and a tape measure says it's straight. Normally though I can eyeball level stuff to dead on, maybe 1/16" off at the very worst.

hey mines a hair off and I havent had a single problem....sometimes close enough works