Belt replacement

cerickson

fullpull108
I am going to change the serpentine belt on the wife's 06. Been noticing the belt squealing while driving it. Should I replace the tensioner at the same time? The belt doesn't squeal at idle, only when your under acceleration. Is it the belt or tensioner. Any and all help greatly appreciated. Is it a pos job to do by yourself. Or do you need a buddy to help?

Check the tensioner when the belt is off. I've never had one squeal. Have you got dual CP3's? Otherwise I'd be checking every idler, fan bearing, alternator and everything else the belt goes around. If you swap out the tensioner, I prefer the Cummins tensioner- some of the aftermarkets have a dust cover you can't get the belt behind.

Strictly stock. No mods. Was just asking if i should replace the tensioner when i do the belt. Could it be the water pump?

I just installed a new belt today and it is so much easier to do if you just remove the tensioner itself. Once you take the tension off the belt and take the belt off of one pulley you will have some slack. Then take a 13 mm socket and just remove the tensioner completely from the block. Route the belt back into place and just leave the gap for the tensioner so when you install it you don't have to manipulate the belt behind the tensioner pulley.

I have dual CP3's so my belt routing will be a little different than yours.

And if I was going to replace the belt I would go ahead and replace the tensioner as well. It's not that expensive..

It helps to have a buddy to get the belt back on all the pulleys with the tensioner, but I was able to do mine myself without help.

Last edited:
I recently installed a new Cummins (Dayco) tensioner and a Goodyear Gatorback belt

VERY QUIET now, no chirping at shutdown either

The chirping don't bother me it's the constant squeal when driving around that annoys me. Will get the belt and the tensioner when I get to the parts store.

Back