Bending pushrods

24VChevy

Ram-Bow
I have a 03 that is bending pushrods. It does have aftermarket cam and springs (no need to say whos) The pistions, head and head gasket are all stock. The engine only revs to 3500 rpm. Here is what I have checked so far.
1) cam timing
2) coil bind
3) interferance between valve and valve seal.
4) total lift on cam is about .400

The springs have been checked on a valve spring tester and have the following:

1) seat presure @ 129lbs
2) at .400 lift 300 lbs

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Malcolm

The turbos are limited to 60-70 psi depending on fuel. On the first race they bent at the 1000 ft mark. Changed them all out run on the dyno no problem. Hit the track again and they bent at about the 1000 ft mark again.

Thanks

The springs are suspect, IMO. I dont know anything about the grind, but .400 is not high by any means. Unless the duration is ultra short, the lobe with .400 lift would be a mild lobe. Of course the lobe could be a crap design, but I doubt it.

I think the springs are the problem.

A lot of the times bending push rods are caused because of opening against high cylinder pressure. I would first rule out insufficient valve to piston clearance. Next 129# on the seat is a lot, but not that excessive, so I would rule that out. Are you sure you retainers and seals are not interfering. If you’re bending a lot of push rod, and not just one or two this is would lead me to think you have some type of fundamental problem, interference with something. I use a .080 Chromemolly push rod with billet ends .

Was the piston to valve clearance checked and with-in spec?? Either that or the spring is binding on something? Was the pushrod fully seated in the tappet cup?

total lift/duration

Don M said:
The springs are suspect, IMO. I dont know anything about the grind, but .400 is not high by any means. Unless the duration is ultra short, the lobe with .400 lift would be a mild lobe. Of course the lobe could be a crap design, but I doubt it.

I think the springs are the problem.

I put a dail indicator on the spring retainer itselft today and found that the total lift is .375 for both intake and exhaust. I was told by another reptible person who had the same issue that the spring tension is too much for the stock push rods. I have not put a degree wheel on the crank yet to check for duration.

Thanks for the reply.

COMP461 said:
A lot of the times bending push rods are caused because of opening against high cylinder pressure. I would first rule out insufficient valve to piston clearance. Next 129# on the seat is a lot, but not that excessive, so I would rule that out. Are you sure you retainers and seals are not interfering. If you’re bending a lot of push rod, and not just one or two this is would lead me to think you have some type of fundamental problem, interference with something. I use a .080 Chromemolly push rod with billet ends .

For the initial testing I was running a Smarty tune and F1 injectors only. Truck runs clean and strong (12.1 @112 mph) at the 1000 ft mark.

With the valve fully open (dial indicator on top) I have lots of pistion to valve clearance. I could open the valve another .100' with no contact. On the first run I bent I/E on #4 E on #4. The second run I bent about eight in total.

I am thinking about installing the stock valve springs and running them for now. At what point does the stock springs become the limiting factor for boost and rpm?

Thanks

This engine has totaly stock internals, stock headgasket, stock pistions just a different cam/springs for hard parts.

RacinDuallie said:
Was the piston to valve clearance checked and with-in spec?? Either that or the spring is binding on something? Was the pushrod fully seated in the tappet cup?

Has all been checked, next a degree wheel and blue print the valve opening vs pistion location.

Thanks

24VChevy said:
For the initial testing I was running a Smarty tune and F1 injectors only. Truck runs clean and strong (12.1 @112 mph) at the 1000 ft mark.

With the valve fully open (dial indicator on top) I have lots of pistion to valve clearance. I could open the valve another .100' with no contact. On the first run I bent I/E on #4 E on #4. The second run I bent about eight in total.

I am thinking about installing the stock valve springs and running them for now. At what point does the stock springs become the limiting factor for boost and rpm?

Thanks

This engine has totaly stock internals, stock headgasket, stock pistions just a different cam/springs for hard parts.

At maximum lift is not where you have any chance of valve to piston clearance problems. The biggest problem is at overlap 10 , 5 and 0 degrees before TDC on the exhaust valve , remember the piston is chasing the exhaust valve and 0, 5 , 10 degrees after TDC on the intake where the intake valve is chasing the piston down.

In a diesel the events are short, and on stock cams the ramps are slow and lazy. When you go with a good performance cam the ramps are quickened up to achieve maximum window to more air thru with out increasing seat timing excessively and killing cranking pressure .

Ok, I always use a degree wheel and do it the way I have been taught, and if you have a degree wheel , there are many web sights that give you a step by step way to degree a cam in and check piston to valve
But if you are like most Hot Rodders , both diesel and gas , you don’t have one and probably don’t have any plans to get one eather , so you can use this method at you own risk, but this will get you in the ballpark to see if you need to go and invest in a degree wheel

First you will need to find a true TDC,

To do this take number one injector out and using a dial indicator mounted on the head and use a long enough probe to reach the top of the piston. make a mark on you timing cover in the center

Next rotate the motor slowly, watch as the piston comes up all the way and stops, this is when the dial stops moving, and the piston dwells at the top , set you dial on zero

Next rotate the engine any left; let the piston move down until the dial reads a given amount, I use .100
Mark the balancer with a mark corresponding to the mark on the cover, then rotated it the other direction till the same .100 down and make a similar mark.

Measure half way between the two marks and you have TDC scribe a line

By Multiplying the radius of the dampener by 3.14 pi and dividing by 360 you get .038 of a inch equals a degree so measure so measure .190 for 5 degrees either side of TDC and .380 either side for 10 degrees . mark all four of these with a line on the balancer.

Now with you lash nuts loose and the lash at zero, role the motor thru until you see the exhaust closing on one when you reach the first mark, or 10 BTC stop put the dial indicator on the valve spring retainer, set to zero , then with a t-handle allen head wrench add lash until it stops , this is zero or when the valve hits the piston, you need a minimum or .050 on a 24 valve race motor now measure the 5 degree mark and next the TDC , do the same for the intake valve.

Thanks Comp I am doing that tomorrow, with a degree wheel and a dial indicator.

Malcolm

Everything checked out as far as valve to pistion clearance. I took the lash to Zero and added .100" and there was still no contact. They contacted at .140". I think Don is right when he mentioned Spring pressure is too much.

Thanks

Malcolm