Best intercooler??

12v Ford

Who makes the best intercooler for the powerstrokes? I'm looking for the biggest and best. From what I've found, the 6.0 intercoolers are the biggest. Right now I have a 99 7.3 stock intercooler but I want something that will cool better and not get heat soaked while towing.

The spearco looks good, but the cheapest I've found it for is $1295!! All these things are is a radiator for air, why are they so expensive!!!

Thanks for the help.

Clayton

Contact Hellmann Performance here on the site...he has a good one.

6.0's in the 7.3 is supposed to be a very good upgrade..and a hell of alot cheaper then a hellman! no offense.

I run a Diesel Innovations intercooler (made by hellman iirc), it works very well. I havnet had any egt problems towing with my 71mm single turbo.

BTW-we are also a site sponsor........there is only one biggest and best-here is a link discussing your question:

LINK

will the spearco 6.0 fit in a 02 f350 7.3? just curious. supposedly they flow the best. even over the spearco 7.3. just curious. if so, what chasnges would need to be done to make it a drop in?

The spearco's are designed to be direct drop in/ bolt on. They flow a lot better than most other coolers on the market.

Rob_Bones said:
The spearco's are designed to be direct drop in/ bolt on. They flow a lot better than most other coolers on the market.
Whether or not they were designed to "drop in" or not, I can tell you from experience that the 6.0 retrofits are not a direct "drop in". There are modifications that need to be made to brackets amd possibly the truck itself to alleviated clearance issues with regards to the radiator. They are minor, but one must pay close attention to the clearance when you install one. It may contact the radiator. But the unit works as advertised, and is a wonderful addition to any truck. It works.

lukecline said:
I run a Diesel Innovations intercooler (made by hellman iirc), it works very well. I havnet had any egt problems towing with my 71mm single turbo.

^^^^^^ what Luke said. Call DI.:poke:

boonman said:
Whether or not they were designed to "drop in" or not, I can tell you from experience that the 6.0 retrofits are not a direct "drop in". There are modifications that need to be made to brackets amd possibly the truck itself to alleviated clearance issues with regards to the radiator. They are minor, but one must pay close attention to the clearance when you install one. It may contact the radiator. But the unit works as advertised, and is a wonderful addition to any truck. It works.

Looks like it's going on an OBS... he's gonna be hacking it up anyways...

bbunting said:
BTW-we are also a site sponsor........there is only one biggest and best-here is a link discussing your question:

LINK
what does the banks intercooler flow who has bigger flanges

BigD said:
what does the banks intercooler flow who has bigger flanges

i just bought a banks intercooler, it should be at my doorstep on wednesday... of course i wasn't running any intercooler at all before this but i can let you know EGTs and stuff like that once it's in

The upside of the Banks is it is a bolt on application. You have to cut two holes for the intercooler inlet and outlet, but that is all you have to do for fabrication work. It was more of a pain to take off the grill and accessories than to do the install itself. My dad has a 97 that we put a Banks intercooler on.

Glasseater said:
i just bought a banks intercooler, it should be at my doorstep on wednesday... of course i wasn't running any intercooler at all before this but i can let you know EGTs and stuff like that once it's in
im sure it def lowers egts but i was asking does anyone no the cfm on a banks intercooler it was one that was not tested.

Back