Best place to buy a VP44

tubehead

Looks like I may need a VP. I found out my LP was bad when I changed my fuel filter. Now the truck will start up fine first thing in the morning but after I drive it and it gets warm and I shut it off it has to crank for 10-15 seconds before it will fire. It seems like it is loosing prime but some people have told me that is what a VP does when it's going out. My truck is a stock 2000 model. I did put a DDRP on it when the LP went out. I will be doing a Edge EZ, exhaust and BHAF. Where should I look for a VP?

had 0 problems from Blue Chip's pumps and my HO pump was tapped from day 1.

i have a 2000 also doing the same thing. beginning to really tick me off

For you guys with this issue, try disconnecting the wiring to your lift pump when you know the problem will occur. See if the problem still occurs. If the truck starts up just fine, shut it back off, because as you know running without a lift pump will cause damage.

What often happens, and happened to me, is that the fuel metering diaphragm will travel up to 2.0mm when subjected to fuel pressure below 7psi. Since the diaphragm is only designed to travel 0.5mm the excess travel will cause it to crack and weaken. Then the pressure produced by the new lift pump (even a new stock pump) will override the diaphragm causing hard starting when hot.

The solution for this is to install an oil pressure switch in the ground wire so that the pump doesn't run until the truck is running. You want to get a hobbs switch N/O curcuit set at around 6psi, with 1/8th NPT threads. This will mount in the extra port on top of the oil pressure housing. I believe the switch is a 7524, but thats digging deep and I could be wrong on that number its been a few years for me now.

Once again, test this first, to make sure its problem, by running the truck, shutting it off, then disconnecting the wiring for the lift pump and restarting when you know it will have trouble starting. It should fire right up. Mines been working trouble free now for 45k and a couple of years.
Sean

Is there any other pressure switch that would work or is the Hobbs the best bet. Does anyone have a picture or schmatic of where the switch would go. I found a pressure switch from Edelbrock that is set at 5 psi. I'm guessing it would work but just wanted to make sure.

www.sourceautomotive.biz is another fantastic source.

I couldn't be happier with my SHO pump from them. No big hype claims, just told me it would fuel like an HO down low and an SO up high. I couldn't be happier, and made over 350/885 on stock HO injectors.

You wouldn't even have to get a pressure switch. My old 01 would do the same thing and I fixed it by doing the FASS Hard Start Fix. All you have to do is find the wire that tells the pump when to turn on, then cut it and tap it into a 12v fuse like your power window fuse. Like this, when you turn the key on, your pump will always run and never shut off until you turn the key back off. This way when you go to start the truck, the pump will shut off until you let off the starter. In this little time period while the engine is cranking, the pump not running will allow the pressure to bleed off just enough to allow the truck to start right up. But when the truck starts and you let off of the starter, the pump will come back on. Worked great on my 01 and that is what FASS recommends doing. Fass even has a diagram to show you exactly how to do this. I would post it up on here but I cant find it anywhere.

You wouldn't even have to get a pressure switch. My old 01 would do the same thing and I fixed it by doing the FASS Hard Start Fix. All you have to do is find the wire that tells the pump when to turn on, then cut it and tap it into a 12v fuse like your power window fuse. Like this, when you turn the key on, your pump will always run and never shut off until you turn the key back off. This way when you go to start the truck, the pump will shut off until you let off the starter. In this little time period while the engine is cranking, the pump not running will allow the pressure to bleed off just enough to allow the truck to start right up. But when the truck starts and you let off of the starter, the pump will come back on. Worked great on my 01 and that is what FASS recommends doing. Fass even has a diagram to show you exactly how to do this. I would post it up on here but I cant find it anywhere.

That would work really well too, and I may give that a shot, since I have a few open spaces on my aftermarket accessories fuse block. As far as which pressure switch would work. Any switch that is normally open, with 1/8th NPT threads will go into that pressure port and should work just fine for you. I got this solution from FASS a few years back, however, it did make priming new filters kind of a pain, because you can't just bump the starter and let it run. All you have to do is jump the pressure switch, but still thats just an extra step.
Sean